Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade Dillon Case Feed Empty Sensor

Also, the brass jangling around in the case feeder is so damned loud that you know you are running low when you can hear yourself think.... I've been meaning to make a silencer for the casefeeder, maybe a box lined with dynamat or some other foam.

Also, the brass jangling around in the case feeder is so damned loud that you know you are running low when you can hear yourself think.... I've been meaning to make a silencer for the casefeeder, maybe a box lined with dynamat or some other foam.

I cut a piece of 1" foam about 1" larger in diameter than the bowl of the casefeeder. Slice it to fit down over the metal side plate which also holds the foam in place. Makes the tumbling brass in the casefeeder much quieter. :cheers:

Take care,

Pat

I have a case feeder, but I don't always use it for small runs. Also, I need to buy another case feed plate to handle all of the different calibers I reload.

Details:

It's a IR emmitter/detector and slips directly over the clear case feed tube. You can move it up or down on the clear case feed tube as you see fit because the sensor tube that houses the IR emmitter/dettector is lined with a little soft foam. I have it right above the case feed adapter in the video. It should work on other presses, not just the XL650. There's a small buzzer in the box along with the LED you can see in the video. If a case doesn't block the IR emmitter/detector, the buzzer sounds and LED turns on. I've ran 9mm, 40S&W, 38spl/357Mag, 44spl/44Mag, and 45ACP through it without any problems. :)

Edited by umrek

• 1 year later...

I cut a piece of 1" foam about 1" larger in diameter than the bowl of the casefeeder. Slice it to fit down over the metal side plate which also holds the foam in place. Makes the tumbling brass in the casefeeder much quieter. :cheers:

Take care,

Pat

Pat,

Could you send me a picture of it?

Thank you!

Take care,

Pat

Pat,

Well done! Great idea. You may want to consider adding this post to the tips & tricks thread(s)...

Thanks!

Chuck