Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pump gun capacity question...

cas

I just wanted to get some input on this, some other peoples points of view. I hope I can make myself clear.

I currently shoot an 8+1 pump gun. I was toying with the idea if getting a +4 tube, making it 9+1.

I was all set to do that, then the thought hit me, is that worth the trouble or will it make me slower?

I'm only shooting local matches etc. , starts are usually empty gun or 5 in the gun.

Empty gun I single port load, then 4&4. A 5 round start I grab and load 4 of course.

So my thought was, unless I can master grabing and loading 5 (I have decent size hands, I might be able to), where will that 10th shell come from? (Not so much where but when)

Meaning I'd be loading 1+4+4+1 or 4+1. My point and question being, will the time spent loading that last single round be worth the trouble time wise?

I run an 8 and an 11 round tube. The reason I like the 11 rounder is for that stage or section of a stage that is designed with 11-12 targets. I can usually load 2 or 3 more rounds right after the buzzer or during movement and finish the stage without going back to the belt again. I'd go up to a 11-12 round tube rather than just an 9 rounder.

I run an 8 and an 11 round tube. The reason I like the 11 rounder is for that stage or section of a stage that is designed with 11-12 targets. I can usually load 2 or 3 more rounds right after the buzzer or during movement and finish the stage without going back to the belt again. I'd go up to a 11-12 round tube rather than just an 9 rounder.

Exactly one of my reasons to have a 11 rounds tube on my pump.

Greetings

Adrie

My 11 rounders is about 2 inches shorter then my 28" barrel :P

Capacity i base on 2.5" practical ammo btw.

Capacity with 2 3/4 would be easy loading 10.

On my second shotgun i have a 24" barrel combined with a tube that can hold 10 pcs 2.5" or 9 pcs 23/4" that tube sticks out a bit in front of the barrel.

Greetsz

Adrie

CAS,

As you said, sometimes you start a stage with an unloaded SG. It is better to have and not need instead of need and not have. My suggestion is to add the one extra shell capacity. I don't know what rules you are running, what SG you have, what shell carriers and the length of your barrel so can't coment further. Remember, more is better! Most of us pump SG shooters only have a 21 or shorter barrel so shooting USPSA and other rule driven matches you can't have a tube longer than 1 inch past the end of you barrel so we are restricted.

Ok, here is one story (with 17 targets)...you start with an empty SG, you load 5 (grab 4 from the belt) and shoot 3 rounds, move and load 4 more, shoot 2 rounds and move (loading another 4 rounds) shoot 2 and load another 4 rounds and wait for the last volley of 10 rounds...you never had to load 5 except at the start? This will leave you no extra shots but...or

Same thing but you load 4, shoot 3, move and load 4 shoot 2, move and load 4 and shoot 2, load 4 about twice if you have any misses and finish, I sometimes plan on missing:-)...I can't hold 4 in my hands very well so I only load 3 from a 6 round caddy so this works for me, but, sometimes in an emergency I will grab 4 just because it might be faster! Practice makes perfect...

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

RLTW,

Scott

Most of us pump SG shooters only have a 21 or shorter barrel so shooting USPSA and other rule driven matches you can't have a tube longer than 1 inch past the end of you barrel so we are restricted.

As of the current rules USPSA does not limit magazine length, only how many you load (USPSA 2009 Shotgun Rules Appendix D2).

I added a Nordic +1 to my SLP to make reloading easier and so I could have 9 in the tube when I walked up to the line. Just rack the bolt and you are ready to go. If you put more than 9 total in your gun in USPSA at any time during the course of fire you go to OPEN.

Doug

Like Adrie I also run an 11 round gun.

IPSC shotgun rules are a bit different to what USPSA are doing.

In the Standard divisions (auto & pump) you can only load 9 into the gun before the "beep" for an "Option 1" fully loaded start.

Other possible start conditions are Loaded Option 2, Chamber empty & only 8 shells in the magazine, or Option 3 Gun totally unloaded.

After the timer starts if your gun can hold more rounds you can put them in without fear of being bumped to a different division.

In IPSC Open Division there is no round limit at all, the trend in europe currently is towards a Saiga or Merlot using the "max rounds" 20 round drum mags & some extended stick mags of 20.

You guys have the IPSC Pan-American Shotgun Championships next year in Kentucky, some of the euro boys are sure to attend & the differences in the rules could mean some shooters from the USA disadvantage themselves unintentionaly.

N

Edited by Neil Smith