Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Weight with SP01 or Shadow

usp45ss

I would like to pick up a CZ to shoot in SSP IDPA and USPSA production. After reading some here, it looks like the SP01 can be made to make the 39oz weight limit for IDPA SSP with a few mods. I've seen Marschall (sp?) grips mentioned. What other mods will help? Specific parts and where to get them would help.

Can the Shadow make weight as well? I thought read somewhere that it was a little heavier than the SP01. CZ's website has them listed as the same weight so I wasn't sure.

i made weight with the Marchall grips with the 10rd mag. sp01 tactical. it was last year can't really remember actual weight but the RO that weighed it and myself was surprised. he said before he even had weighed it that there was no chance. but it passed with wiggle room.

Your SP-01 standard/tactical or Shadow has got to make SSP division weight of 39 oz. to qualify for ESP division.

I've gotten an older (2-slot) SP-01 (manual safety), an SP-01 Tactical (Decocker) and a newer SP-01 (manual safety/3-slot) to make the 39 oz. weight limit for SSP division by replacing the factory recoil spring, lighter weight grips from Marschal or the Walnut grips from the CZ Tactical Sport as well as using the 10 round magazines and thinning out the magazine break that covers the mainspring/hammer spring. Only the older 2-slot SP-01 would make the weight limit with specific 19 round magazines (lightest in the batch I have) and the same changes mentioned.

Have yet to get the Shadow under the 39 oz. limit, thinking of swapping out the heavy ambi thumb safeties for the smaller older thumb safeties.

Why would you need to make SSP weight limit to shoot in ESP ? ESP has its own weight limit and modification rules.

This is a interesting loophole. You can not have a gun with a full-length dust cover in ESP, so by default the SP-01 can not be an ESP gun. On page 21 of the rule book, there is a loophole about any gun that meets SSP requirements can be used in ESP. Check it out!

Later,

Chuck

I have an SP01 and a Shadow. My SP01 is exactly 39oz. with the plastic factory grips and a 19 round magazine. My Shadow has been a little tougher. I think I got it to make weight with Marschal grips and a 10 round mag. It's been a while since I weighed it though, so I can't remember exactly what it weighed. I prefer using the 19 round mags so I use the SP01 for IDPA and the Shadow for USPSA

Why would you need to make SSP weight limit to shoot in ESP ? ESP has its own weight limit and modification rules.

This is a interesting loophole. You can not have a gun with a full-length dust cover in ESP, so by default the SP-01 can not be an ESP gun. On page 21 of the rule book, there is a loophole about any gun that meets SSP requirements can be used in ESP. Check it out!

Later,

Chuck

Ah so, the blind man said,

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Where does the extra weight on the Shadow come from? I've played with a few SP-01's (manual safety models) but not a Shadow.

Also, not sure if this matters, but I would like to get a decocker model in whatever I get. I'm not a big fan of thumbing down a hammer every time I load and make ready.

Where does the extra weight on the Shadow come from? I've played with a few SP-01's (manual safety models) but not a Shadow.

Also, not sure if this matters, but I would like to get a decocker model in whatever I get. I'm not a big fan of thumbing down a hammer every time I load and make ready.

One place for the additional tonnage in the Shadow is the metal that is not machined out of the slide for the FPB like in the SP-01.

Later,

Cbuck

One place for the additional tonnage in the Shadow is the metal that is not machined out of the slide for the FPB like in the SP-01.

Later,

Cbuck

Whats an FPB?

Well, I think I'm going to pick up a SP-01 from Angus sometime. I've got more access to IDPA matches at the moment, so it makes sense to me to get one I know I can make work in IDPA. In true Enos fashion, I'll probably get a Shadow sometime on down the line.