Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550b intitial setup

penman53

I have just bought a dillon 550b. I am planning on reloading 45acp ammo to start. 223 later maybe another rifle load later than that.

I thought I read somewhere in the instructions that the loader came setup for large primers and the small powder bar. After looking, it is indeed the case. I have looked at the installation instructions and nowhere does it show how to change from the small powder bar to the large one. I plan on loading the 45 acp ammo with only 4.6 grains of WST (light load for bullseye shooting).

So do I need to change the powder bar? Or leave it alone? I'm in kind of a quandry about this.

Thanks, Mark, Edmond Oklahoma

Two different animals...

The large powder bar is used for rifle loads, the small powder bar for pistol loads.

The large primer bar is used for large primers (.45 ACP, 10mm, large rifle, etc) and the small primer bar is used for small primers (9mm, .40, .223, etc).

For .45 ACP use the small powder par and the large primer bar.

Two different animals...

The large powder bar is used for rifle loads, the small powder bar for pistol loads.

The large primer bar is used for large primers (.45 ACP, 10mm, large rifle, etc) and the small primer bar is used for small primers (9mm, .40, .223, etc).

For .45 ACP use the small powder par and the large primer bar.

+1

Use the small powder bar. Since you're also going to load rifle, you should have another powder measure set up for your .223 loading with a large powder bar. Changing the bar back and forth would be a pain in the ass. I can't remember if the 550 comes with two powder measures or not. If it doesn't, you should buy another one.

By the way, I'm not sure what weight bullet you're planning to use for your bullseye shooting, but I use 4.6 grains of WST with a 230 grain RN bullet, and it's not a light load. In fact, it makes 168,000 Power Factor (enough to make major in IDPA and USPSA).

I got the same exact setup from Dillon and you can easily change the powder bar, there is only a small square piece of plastic that actually holds it in place once you remove the adjustment bolt. Just take your time adjusting the power bar until you get exactly the grain weight you want. I've found that after checking every 10th load for the first 100 rnds, the 550 should throw a very accurate load, just keep the powder level in the reservoir at least 1/2 full to keep the pressure on the powder consistent.

Edited by azeric