Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mikej

Actually, a couple folks have had the factory fit a new 10-shot cylinder, and it wasn't all that expensive of a project. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember thinking it sounded pretty reasonable.

So I think the answer is, if you can get a great deal on a 6-shot 617, go for it!

I had a quote from Smith & Wesson before I just bought a 10 shot and I think it was $225. Then you need to add shipping on top of that and what I just got hosed for shipping to NC from Iowa cost $78 and if you have to pay return shipping you would be looking at another $78 which would bring the total cost to $375 which is still cheaper than the new price for a 10 shot at around $675 but only if you gat a hell of a deal on a 6 shot. I know that Smith is in Massachusetts and shipping might cost a little more unless you know or have a FFL and can ship it USPS. The FedEx here in Mt Pleasant has taken the stance that any firearm or firearm part has to be shipped overnight. So being the sarcatic SOB I am I asked if I just had to ship a front sight for a revolver through them would I have to ship it over night and the answer was yes. What A-- H----. but what can you do as your hands are tied if you don't have a FFL or one that will ship for you. Enough bitching wish you luck on your project.

Fedex is expensive, but one thing that helps is to take just the gun, wrap it in bubble wrap, and ship it in the smallest Fedex box. Don't send the whole frickin' kit. The plastic hard cases and aluminum PC cases, and all that extra junk in them, add a lot of size and weight to the package....and add unnecessary expense.

Better yet, if you can find a friendly FFL guy, sending handguns via insured mail is much cheaper than using the overnight carriers.

I had a quote from Smith & Wesson before I just bought a 10 shot and I think it was $225. Then you need to add shipping on top of that and what I just got hosed for shipping to NC from Iowa cost $78 and if you have to pay return shipping you would be looking at another $78 which would bring the total cost to $375 which is still cheaper than the new price for a 10 shot at around $675 but only if you gat a hell of a deal on a 6 shot. I know that Smith is in Massachusetts and shipping might cost a little more unless you know or have a FFL and can ship it USPS. The FedEx here in Mt Pleasant has taken the stance that any firearm or firearm part has to be shipped overnight. So being the sarcatic SOB I am I asked if I just had to ship a front sight for a revolver through them would I have to ship it over night and the answer was yes. What A-- H----. but what can you do as your hands are tied if you don't have a FFL or one that will ship for you. Enough bitching wish you luck on your project.

That's weird. My sister works for FedEx, so I'm well familiar with their procedures and policies (I get a sweet discount too). That is absolutely not their policy, only handguns have to be sent overnight. You can find their policy on their website, print it off, and take it into the station with you. I'd suggest you call 1-800-GO-FEDEX and get pissed.

Having said all that, Carmoney's right, if you know a guy with an FFL who can send stuff through the regular mail that's the cheapest way to go.

That's weird. My sister works for FedEx, so I'm well familiar with their procedures and policies (I get a sweet discount too). That is absolutely not their policy, only handguns have to be sent overnight. You can find their policy on their website, print it off, and take it into the station with you. I'd suggest you call 1-800-GO-FEDEX and get pissed.

Having said all that, Carmoney's right, if you know a guy with an FFL who can send stuff through the regular mail that's the cheapest way to go.

I did call FedEx and I got the same answer and then I ask for a supervisor and was told the same, go figure. Next time I will ship and tell them machine parts.

In Feb of this year I took my m17 6 shooter back with me to the factory, left it there and in about 14 days it showed up with a new 10 shot cylinder in it. Total cost was $168 and some change. I brought it without the cylinder in it just be safe and save the factory from forgetting to send it back. For just straight up stuff, the factory isn't a bad deal to get stuff done.

Since I've had the gun back, 4 other owners of similar guns have done the same thing and everybody's happy with the "new" gun.

You must buy the ds-10 loaders after the conversion, I wouldn't leave home without them...

michaels

Actually, a couple folks have had the factory fit a new 10-shot cylinder, and it wasn't all that expensive of a project. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember thinking it sounded pretty reasonable.

So I think the answer is, if you can get a great deal on a 6-shot 617, go for it!

Mine cost me about $150 plus the shipping. I didn't ship I drove it there and a buddy delivered it back to me so for $175 it was done.