Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double tap Loses

ASTIG

hi guys,

i did a drill on double taps yesterday on three targets spaced 1.5 meters in between at a distance of 15 yards...

my shots on the left are on the same level on any zone and spaced by at least 3 inches in between.

.         .       (like this)   and the second shots i make on the center lie on the same vertical plane with spaces of 4 inches         .

(like this)

.       or sometimes it doesn't even score a hit. with the rightmost target, i get what we call the snake eyes... what seems to be the problem???

ASTIG, I'll see if I can help.  First, you know "double tap" is a term that has fallen from favor around here.  More on that later.....   I'll bet the snake eyes are happening because you are stopping on that target.  With nowhere else to go, you are looking the shots off really well.  On the first two, the lateral stringing is probably due to the fact that you are beginning to swing the gun to the next target at the same instant you touch off the second shot.  The cure would be follow-through on both shots.  

Now, back to the evil double tap. A few months ago on a different thread, "double tap" was described as the failure to call the second shot.    It not uncommon to get an alpha-mike with a true double tap.  Because the premise behind a "double tap" is that the shooter somehow saves time by settling for "one sight picture, two trigger presses".  

Here is truth:   Each press of the trigger should be a deliberate and willful action and deserveing of it's own sight alignment, trigger press, and follow through.  

What you will find when you persevere, is that every shot fired always requires the same amount of attention. This is regardless of the number of shots fired in a string, or the interval at which subsequent shots are fired in a string.    This is true of a single shot, two rapid shots, or six shot Bill Drill.   So to sum it up, try firing the 3-two shot drills "one shot at a time" and concentrate on "this shot, the one I am firing at this moment", mentally looking neither ahead nor dwelling on the one behind.  With a little practice, you'll begin calling each and every shot you fire and the bullets will go where you "know they will".  Man I hope this helps some.  If not, it was sure fun talking about it.  

-Sam

Bonedaddy pretty much pegged it, you are locking on one target and firing one aimed shot and one 'hoper' when you double tap. Aim each shot. The stringing in the middle comes from not stopping on it. See the target, get the gun to the target, and keep it there until you fire each shot.

Mix this drill up a bit and repeat it but only fire one A per taget, then do it again but shoot 3 A's on each target. Another good variation is to fire two A's on the center of the target on T1 then two into the A in the top box (B zone) on T2 then two A's on the main center of T3. Or reverse it and fire on the B zones on the outside targets and center on the middle.

Pat

You know Kyle is totally correct in my case.  Guys like Brian and J1B were there when the sport was invented.  If it weren't for the original greats and newer ones like TT, Pat, and others, we would still be shooting by candle light.   Here's to the men of the Renaissance, old and new!  

(and yes, Kyle...... Polly would like a cracker)  :)