Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Zip in 124gr 9mm Loads

Steve_P

Hi All,

I might be interested in trying Ramshot Zip for my 124gr production loads.

Does anyone here do this? I have seen a lot of mention of zip with 147's, but not much about the 124's.

I currently use W231. Zip is listed right next to 231 on the burn rate charts, so I would think that I could work up a new load with minimal trouble.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Steve

• 1 year later...

When you say better powders, do you mean for USPSA shooting or full power loading. I shoot 5g Unique under 124g PD's in my G34. I just bought Titegroup, ZIP, and have HP38 and Bullseye on hand. Looking to make minor PF with 13lb spring.

I was talking USPSA only where it is far better to start with a 132-135 PF load than the 127 PF of the above load. What I consider a better powder is one that reaches a desired power factor at less than .2 gr of max book pressure. On this forum you will find people who state their load is .2-.3 gr above max. As a person who has had a barrel split with a weighed charge at what was supposed to be less than a max charge, I am a believer in what Clint Eastwood said "A man should know his limitations".

Also, the OAL makes a big difference on ZIP. .050 more seating depth give me 80 more FPS. I can run lead 125gr bullets at 3.6 grs of charge and OAL at 1.125, however the Berrys 125FP is a shorter bullet, seated to 1.120 needs 3.9 to make PF. I have to push it down to 1.075 to get the pressure back up with the lighter load.I have had no problems other than learning what the powder wants and likes. Testing, testing, testing.

The Berrys 125 gr HBFP is a longer bullet, It gives a good deep seating depth and still have a good OAL. I am testing Berrys 130gr RN currently just to see how it runs in a 9mm platform. So far so good. Test gun is a glock 17 with a Federal barrell.

• 3 months later...

I show Zip as being very close to AA2 in burn rate and just a little faster than 231/HP38. I would think it would be a decent choice. I would like to try Competition (much faster than Zip) in .45 Auto Bullseye loads, but haven't seen either on the shelves of the local dealers.

rstandley: I do not understand decreasing the COL. Why not add more powder? My philosophy is to load to the longest COL that gives me reliable feeding and chambering and, in 9x19, not to reduce COL. No matter what, all 9x19 and .40S&W loads need to be checked for bullet tension to prevent any bullet set-back.

Edited by noylj

I loaded 4.0 with an MG 124 TMJ and have the OAL at 1.125, seem to work decent. Knock steel down well and accurate. Have to get my chrono out and see. Load data is just all over the place with this powder. However, Ramshot calls out the load I'm using now. If you go to thier website it looks that they are going through Zip data.

• 6 months later...

I just loaded up some 124gr Rainier FPs, over 4.6gr of Zip, over Federal 100 primers. OAL is 1.1 which is about right for FP bullets. Feels about right, a little less recoil than the factory loads I've shot through this gun [sig X-Five All Around] but the gun cycles great and accuracy was very good. Have to set the chrono up but I think I'm running somewhere between 950 to 1000 fps which seems about right based on other bullets using Ramshot's load data for Zip at 4.6gr.

noylj, I was having problems with feeding the flat nose bullets, hense the change of OAL. I found that for the flat nose bullets, 1.100 works well in my glocks, however they will not fit into a CZ barrel. Just part of the process. For the 130 gr round nose I use 1.125 OAL. Also I am at 3.9 grs of Zip, burns dirty, will not buy anymore after this jug is gone.

I can only assume that CZ isn't chambering these guns the same as my CZ75s (not Bs). I load fairly long in the CZs.

There is no greater justification for a change in COL than "it feeds better."

You will note that my referenced loads were no listed as start or max. These are loads from magazines (at least one is probably a Handloader load).