Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not more "Freestyle" Stages

I hate those stages whe the shooter picks. When I go to a 3gun match I want to shoot the rifle and shotgun. You can shoot pistol every weekend and on some week days in most places, so on the "you choose" stages the "gamers" who are out to win, will shoot the pistol for everything they can, due to the fact the have lots of practice with that gun. And who wants to go to a 3gun match to have it really be a big pistol match, excep the the pro shooters who are there to win a prize and make the house payment that month. Yes I know that I'm not going to win but I don't want to have to shoot the pistol just to keep up. On the other hand if the stage said you can only use your rifle and shotgun, that would be fun!!!

Scott

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to use my shotgun or rifle instead of a pistol would give me an advantage over those people who insist on using their pistols. Using my shotgun to maximum effect at Ironman 2008 is one reason I won trooper division and placed 15th/133 over all, and in 2009 using my Shotgun and Uzi wherever I could instead of a pistol again helped me win trooper division and place 17/140 over all.

I seriously don't understand where this perception that its such a huge advantage to use a pistol is coming from. I suppose it might be if all the targets are 10 yards or less, but show me a multi-gun match where that is the case?

Edited by SinistralRifleman

I've been thinking of doing just this kind of stage at one of our club matches later this year. I have a large bay to use and was thinking 40-50 paper, steel & clay targets spread out so there would be lots of movement. Shooters could choose as long as they shot at 10 targets with each gun. I don't think it would be too hard to track - I’d figure out something.

What do ya think?

The ability to use my shotgun or rifle instead of a pistol would give me an advantage over those people who insist on using their pistols. Using my shotgun to maximum effect at Ironman 2008 is one reason I won trooper division and placed 15th/133 over all, and in 2009 using my Shotgun and Uzi wherever I could instead of a pistol again helped me win trooper division and place 17/140 over all.

I seriously don't understand where this perception that its such a huge advantage to use a pistol is coming from. I suppose it might be if all the targets are 10 yards or less, but show me a multi-gun match where that is the case?

Well somehow or the other I was shooting with Cooley, Neth and Moots this year and I can tell you for sure that they shot as many targets as possible with their pistol including clays at WAAY more than 10 yds away. It looked like to me like they planned the stages and shot the stages with shooting as many pistol as possible. In tactical class it is much faster to reload and shoot 20 rds out of a pistol than it is a tube fed shotgun. I realize you shoot a mag fed shotgun with detachable mags and an uzi with a big mag, so if all thing are equal the pistol is faster than a tube fed shotgun. If your only concern is clock time then eliminating as much shotgun as possible is the goal because it is the slowest gun to shoot and reload. Then next gun to limit rounds on is the rifle due to the fact that it is slightly slower to do a mag change on and will transition from target to target slightly slower than a pistol will. And on those stages it looked like a big pistol stage rather than a 3 gun stage.

Scott

If someone has super human pistol skills as those guys do it is an advantage. For mere mortals I still contend something with a stock and longer sight radius or optics will generally be more advantageous to use.

A rifle should always be more accurate than shooting a pistol. It's also going to be a lot easier when fatigued.

Putting down steel with a shotgun is more of a sure thing, again particularly when fatigued, and even some of the t00ber shooters on my squad elected to use shotguns more for that reason. Is taking 3-4 shots to knock down a steel due to misses or marginal hits really faster than one solid hit with a shotgun?

The Uzi holds as many rounds as my Glock, it's just easier to shoot accurately after sprinting up to a couple hundred yards because it has a stock. Having a red dot also speeds aiming particularly from awkward positions. It may transition target to target slower (I haven't put this on the clock), but I have way more first round hits.

It's really about the individual shooter ability. If some people want to solve all the problems with their pistols, great. It certainly takes a lot more skill for them to do so. I'll still use my long guns

Edited by SinistralRifleman