Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DRILL FOR TRIGGER FINGER

ASTIG

from almost a two year absence from the sport, i recently got myself reactivated. i noticed something different lately when i dry fire. if i use my strong hand(right) the dot's bouncing when i depress the trigger but if i use my weak hand, the dot's steady... i know it's on the way i depress the trigger (squeezing), but why is it that it happens only when i use my strong hand?

also, i loaded up a bunch of n350 a couple of days ago for my practice. the problem is for every slow deliberate shot that i make, i blink my eyes involuntarily. for every fast twin taps, i blink once. this never happened when i use 3n37. what seems to be wrong here guys?

ASTIG: After a layoff it is probably adivisable to do the Bruce Gray (my mentor) dry-fire drill, it will smooth out both your trigger finger and your blinking at the break, both results of lay off time.

If you don't know the drill Email me and I will be happy to send it to you. I does work, it is a well thought out exercise.

astig,

Of course a blasting open gun can encourage blinking, but you must learn to overcome it, no matter what. This must be your first priority. Almost every shooter I've worked with, except MOST GMs, blink when the gun fires. To "overcome" it - look it into it. (sorry for the pun) Direct all your attention to your face and eyes and just shoot slowfire into a the backstop with no target. Have a friend look at your shooting eye (from behind your glasses) and give you feedback on whether you are actually blinking compared to whether you feel like you are. With some practice you must develop the ability to know on your own whether you are blinking or not. Direct your attention to this at the beginning of each practice session. After you begin to "know," vary your shooting - attend to your eyes while shooting slowfire, at speed, or off the bench. The bench is usually the hardest (to not blink) because everything is happening so slow.

On your trigger finger - the problem is that the finger we use all the time to fire the gun just gets sloppy and lazy, not unlike a bad habit. To retrain that pesky finger, do some shooting with all your attention on your habit finger. Let go of all other cares - were the shot goes, etc., and just get to REALLY know every little detail of what your finger is doing as it fires the shot. It helps to, once you establish a safe aiming point, not even look a the gun or sights, just close your eyes and feel/learn what is actually happening. You must do this while shooting; dry firing, no matter how beneficial, is not going to help you when a firecracker is exploding in your face.

be

Quote: from benos on 12:05 pm on Dec. 7, 2001

astig,

Of course a blasting open gun can encourage blinking, but you must learn to overcome it, no matter what. This must be your first priority. Almost every shooter I've worked with, except MOST GMs, blink when the gun fires.

Brian,

I seem to experience the same thing as the original poster.  If I fire two quick shots, it seems like I blink after the second shot.  However, if I fire a single shot, slowfire, I WILL blink after the shot.  I see the sparks coming out the end of the gun and I see the front sight rise, but, subconsciously, I know that I'm only firing this one shot and I blink.  

However, if I see the sparks and see the sight lift, is this bad?  Is this the blinking you're talking about, or are you only talking about blinking that interferes with following through until the bullet is out of the barrel?

Lincoln

P.S. What's the best way to try to force the eye to stay open?  Try to open it very wide and "muscle" it open?  Just try to relax and not blink?  Or what?

(Edited by lcarr at 10:35 pm on Dec. 7, 2001)

Icarr,

"However, if I see the sparks and see the sight lift, is this bad?"

No, this is not bad. If you see that, your eyes were open at the critical moment.

"What's the best way to try to force the eye to stay open?  Try to open it very wide and "muscle" it open?  Just try to relax and not blink?"

Try em both. I find it's effective to SLIGHTLY open my aiming eye a little more than usual. Kind of like the "deer in the headlites" look. The main thing is to direct your attention to that area. (Your eyes/face.) Otherwise, when we don't know what is actually happening, the bad (habit) just gets worse.

be

Quote: from benos on 3:06 pm on Dec. 8, 2001

Icarr,

"However, if I see the sparks and see the sight lift, is this bad?"

No, this is not bad. If you see that, your eyes were open at the critical moment.

What I was getting at, and now see that I wasn't clear, is that, when I'm firing one shot, I see the sparks and the sight lift, but it is very difficult or impossible for me to see the sight all the way until it comes back down.  My brain knows that I'm only firing this one shot and I can't seem to follow the sight all the way back to the notch, even though I follow through well enough to get the bullet out of the end of the barrel.

Lincoln

P.S. That's a lower case "L," for Lincoln.  My name is Lincoln Carr, hence "lcarr," like "benos," all lower case user name.  :^)

Blinking is something I am constantly working on.  I have very sensitive eyes and tend to blink a lot.  I find it varies a lot from day to day and I haven't figured out how to do it conisistently.  Some times I can watch the sight its whole travel.  Sometimes I can see it so well its like slow motion.  Other times I have trouble doing it at all.

Now for my thread drift:

Lincoln, welcome to the forum.  I don't know how well you remember me, but I shot a Glock in the same squad as you at the Limited Nationals this year.  I had the heavily modified trigger that I think you tried at a safety table when I checked out that amazing factory pull on your SV 10mm singlestack.  Good to see you on board.  

D. Bryant Chaffin

Lincoln,

Now I'm following you. It's not necessary, or maybe not even possible, to follow the site "all the way." If you really examine what you see, even when it seems like you're seeing/following the site all the time, you'll find you see it as it lifts, and then as it returns to the notch. (We miss a big part of it's movement.) This is due to a couple reasons. 1-  The slide cycles really fast, so it's difficult if not impossible to keep the site in clear focus when it's whipping all over the place. 2 - (not usually noticed) Assuming we are talking about shooting 2 shots on one target, (as opposed to a transition), because of your "intent" to shoot the second shot where the first one went, we only tend to see a small peripheral area around where the sites are when they are aligned. Next time you're at the range, try this: Aim at the backstop at nothing in particular. Then direct your attention to an area about 3 to 6" above your gun. Just look up there while you trigger off a shot, and notice how high your site goes. It goes way up there, compared to what we "remember" when we are shooting a stage. The funny thing is - when I've shot some of my most amazing (world record) practice Bill Drills, I remember seeing the site track in slow motion, way higher than I usually remember it. I used to wonder what the hell was going on here - did I shoot better because I "saw more," or did I see more, and consequently shoot better, because I was relaxed and not trying? I used to think that my gun kicked more when I was shooting really well. Now I see that I normally just see/remember a portion of the recoil stroke.

be

Quote: from benos on 12:32 pm on Dec. 10, 2001

It's not necessary, or maybe not even possible, to follow the site "all the way."

Thanks!  That has been my experience, and I thought that I wan't doing it well enough.  When I'm "on" doing my Bill Drills, I see the front sight bobbing up and down, though I don't think I'm following it all the way up.  

Again, thanks for going into more detail.  When I read about all of these people tracking their sights through recoil, I had assumed that they were following them all the way up and all the way down.  I thought that I was doing something not quite right.  Now I see that my subjective experience is just as you describe.

Lincoln