Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 7.62x25 Tokarev conversion even possible for the Witness?

Grimjaw

Is a 7.62x25 Tokarev conversion even possible for the Witness? I know the TOK is about 1.5mm longer than even the 38 super but is there enough room in the the mag for them? With the large amount of cheap surplus ammo this could be a very reasonable shooter.

Is a 7.62x25 Tokarev conversion even possible for the Witness? I know the TOK is about 1.5mm longer than even the 38 super but is there enough room in the the mag for them? With the large amount of cheap surplus ammo this could be a very reasonable shooter.

Its probably possible once Henning gets his barrels going. But I havent seen one listed for that caliber. I assume you want it because of its velocity? if you look at the super with lite bullets its a mover too.

leo

Its probably possible once Henning gets his barrels going. But I havent seen one listed for that caliber. I assume you want it because of its velocity? if you look at the super with lite bullets its a mover too.

leo

Velocity is part of the game, but surplus ammo running about 10 cents a round is very seductive. I think a handload with a bit shorter OAL would work well. I found an old GB auction for a TOK witness conversion barrel. So it is possible but the real question would be can it be made to work with on modified surplus ammo.

Listed max OAL for the 7.62x25 is 1.377". I know that at 1.3" my .40 load won't fit in the mags, as the max oal listed for 10mm is 1.260. 38 Super is listed at 1.28 max. 45ACP is max 1.275. None of those seem like the mags will work with 7.62Tok. Maybe adapt some other mag? But even then I think the frame may be too small for the mag. I think its a neat idea to get the cheap ammo, but remember the ammo will not be cheap forever, so stock up! I think the witness platform is just not quite big enough. And I don't find any other CZ75 pattern pistols that go bigger (longer) than 38 super.

Note: dims from Modern Reloading, R. Lee 2nd Ed 2003

This is the info from the GB auction that started this line of thought:

EAA WITNESS CUSTOM 7.62X25 TOKAREV BARREL

HERE IS A CUSTOM BARREL I HAD MADE FOR AN EAA WITNESS IN 7.62X25 TOKAREV. IT IS PRETTY COOL TO HAVE A MODERN HI CAP PISTOL IN TORAKEV - SHOULD FIT ALL WITNESS FULL SIZE MODELS,BUT YOU WILL NEED A .38 SUPER UPPER & MAGS. the gunsmith made this turning down a new Tokarev barrel into a sleeve he then bored a new EAA barrel to match and pressed them together. he made a step in the chamber area, press fit and then pinned them so there is zero chance the sleeve will ever come out. between the 2 barrels and the smith it cost well over $200 THE TOK ROUNDS ARE ABOUT .030 TOO LONG FOR THE .38 SUPER MAGS- you can either press the bullets a little deeper into the cases or shave the tips off the bullets making flat points or even hollow points

pix346117156.jpg

I emailed the seller and he said the barrel worked fine except for having to set back the bullet in each round. It looks like handloads are the only realistic way to make this work.

Why are there no modern hi-cap pistol in 7.62x25 TOK????

Have you priced new production ammo? It was running right around $18.00 a box of 50 the last time I looked. It's kind of an odd ball round to reload. Only steel dies available and the bullet is not a popular size for a handgun round. Hornady made XTP's and Sierra has some in the right size but that was all I could find at first when I bought some. I did run into some Remington surplus rifle bullets that were 85 grains or something like that. It's just not a mainstream caliber.

• 2 months later...

Have you priced new production ammo? It was running right around $18.00 a box of 50 the last time I looked. It's kind of an odd ball round to reload. Only steel dies available and the bullet is not a popular size for a handgun round. Hornady made XTP's and Sierra has some in the right size but that was all I could find at first when I bought some. I did run into some Remington surplus rifle bullets that were 85 grains or something like that. It's just not a mainstream caliber.

Lee has pistol bullet molds with a diameter of .311 inches that might work in this application.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the thread reserection, but I just found a source for barrels chambered in 7.62 x 25 Tokarev at Indianapolis Ordnance

This is a new 8" STEN MK2 barrel made in 7.62 x 25 TOK. The barrel is made from 4140 tool steel and is button rifled. Chambered and in the white. A standard STEN magazine can be modified to accept this cartridge. No modifications to the magazine well are needed. This is a GCA 18 U.S.C. 922r compliant part.

My idea is to follow the process outlined above, and to extend the barrel insert so it can be fitted with a threaded extension. With the stepped chamber at one end and the threaded extension at the other, the barrel sleeve should be locked in place.

Happy Hardware Hacking!

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the thread reserection, but I just found a source for barrels chambered in 7.62 x 25 Tokarev at Indianapolis Ordnance

This is a new 8" STEN MK2 barrel made in 7.62 x 25 TOK. The barrel is made from 4140 tool steel and is button rifled. Chambered and in the white. A standard STEN magazine can be modified to accept this cartridge. No modifications to the magazine well are needed. This is a GCA 18 U.S.C. 922r compliant part.

My idea is to follow the process outlined above, and to extend the barrel insert so it can be fitted with a threaded extension. With the stepped chamber at one end and the threaded extension at the other, the barrel sleeve should be locked in place.

Happy Hardware Hacking!

I like your idea, maybe that would be the way to go for a 22tcm conversion.

I'd love to see a 30 cal pistol caliber that used 110gr rifle bullets, too.