Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP

Dogface

Ok, this is seriously frustrating; I have an FN SLP 12 gauge 18" barrel tactical shotgun. I have the Winchester value pack #7.5 shot shells. Despite all my efforts, it will not cycle these shells (wont eject). So far I have replaced the piston with the lightweight sporting clays piston, tried running it on the drier and wetter side (oil wise), and I have even resorted to cutting about 1-1.5” off the recoil spring, they still wont cycle. Has anyone been able to make these loads work (I have like 500 of these shells). The gun has been 100% reliable with the medium piston (the lightweight of the 2 pistons that comes with the gun) cycling 00 Buck and slugs, I’m starting to think these loads are just too light to cycle this autoloader, but I read that these things will eat anything. Grrrrrr…. HELP!!!!

cocobolo, I will check the spec on the load when i get home.

Ruf, thanks for the idea with the 20 gauge recoil spring, I never would have thought of that! this should be easy since i now have to order a new 12 gauge recoil spring anyhow...

I have 2 SX2s and for one I got the surecycle system the other I got the $2.50 20ga spring. They seem to run about the same but the surecycle spring system does feel a little smoother and lighter when cycling the bolt by hand. I have added a light piston sealed by surecycle for both (bout $20 or so), "sealing" the piston removes the spring and makes it solid so it wont bleed off gas. They both shoot the same loads & run "walmart" ammo pretty well, some days I can run 300rds w/o malfs but I do have them occasionally. For reliability I use a lot of winchester 1 1/8oz black box, the stuff that is rated 1250FPS or higher & it doesnt fail me. It runs 7/8 oz Fiocchi 1300fps loads and I am about to try some 1oz 1300(ish) loads of a brand whose name excapes me. One thing I have seen with the SLPs is the lifter often contacts the receiver, the SX2s dont seem to have as much issue with that. You might look for wear marks regarding your lifter/receiver fit. If that is the case I'd suggest a dremel job for clearance. One thing to point out, & I dont mean to insult, make sure the nut (or what ever it is that holds the barrel on your system) is tight. I actually had my extension tube screwed in too far once which didnt allow the nut to sufficiently tighten to seal the gas system! I felt pretty silly when I figured it out.

-Ruf

Ok, this is seriously frustrating; I have an FN SLP 12 gauge 18" barrel tactical shotgun. I have the Winchester value pack #7.5 shot shells. Despite all my efforts, it will not cycle these shells (wont eject). So far I have replaced the piston with the lightweight sporting clays piston, tried running it on the drier and wetter side (oil wise), and I have even resorted to cutting about 1-1.5” off the recoil spring, they still wont cycle. Has anyone been able to make these loads work (I have like 500 of these shells). The gun has been 100% reliable with the medium piston (the lightweight of the 2 pistons that comes with the gun) cycling 00 Buck and slugs, I’m starting to think these loads are just too light to cycle this autoloader, but I read that these things will eat anything. Grrrrrr…. HELP!!!!

the slp comes with two gas pistons. try the other one. the instruction book ( i know, we just hate to read them), shows which one to run for lighter loads. changing mine to the correct piston and making sure it was lubed and CLEAN made it just wonnerful!

:cheers: 1chota

Ok, this is seriously frustrating; I have an FN SLP 12 gauge 18" barrel tactical shotgun. I have the Winchester value pack #7.5 shot shells. So far I have replaced the piston with the lightweight sporting clays piston, tried running it on the drier and wetter side (oil wise), still wont cycle. The gun has been 100% reliable with the medium piston (the lightweight of the 2 pistons that comes with the gun) Grrrrrr…. HELP!!!!

the slp comes with two gas pistons. try the other one. the instruction book ( i know, we just hate to read them), shows which one to run for lighter loads. changing mine to the correct piston and making sure it was lubed and CLEAN made it just wonnerful!

:cheers: 1chota

My setup is all factory and 1 1/8oz 3 dram has been working 100%, I ran a couple of boxes of remington 1 1/8oz at 2 3/4dram as well through it without any problems. Anything less doesn't work. Also Remington reduced buckshot at 3 dram doesn't run. Now if I can find a buckshot load that will pattern good with a 9 pellet 1300fps load I'll be happy. Still trying to get a box of the federal LE127 to try.

I've seen several people recommend the browning gold light piston for these guns, it's even lighter than the "light" one that comes with the gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=493004

I'm intrigued, but it's a little expensive for me to try out when I don't really need it. Mine runs fine on the Wal-mart federal #7.5 bulk pack, but I did have some feed problems with the Winchester.

Oh, and by cutting your recoil spring you actually may worsen the problem. Less coils makes for a stiffer spring, not a lighter one (I know it sounds counter-intuitive at first, but go look up spring formulas if you don't believe me). But cutting it does make for a shorter spring that may take less total force to compress to a given total length.

• 2 weeks later...

A close friend is shooting the SLP in the same configuration. I asked him about if he had an idea and here is what he said:

I run 1-1/8 oz federal #8’s 100% reliable without fail with the light (red) piston. No cutting filing or replacing parts, I would suggest that he tries the Wal-Mart equivalent federal loads as I have seen the Winchester and Remington light loads from Wal-Mart have issues. I am guessing that even the benelli wont run those as they are just too light. Most of the time they are 1oz loads that just don’t have enough juice.

I also use the federal 127 reduced recoil slugs without issues.

Hope this helps....

I just ran 100 of the same shells through mine with no issues at all. I have tried many different shells now with zero issues. Mine is the Mark I.

If you don't have any other issues with the shotgun then I'd try different shells, but it sounds like it might need to take a trip to the FN shop.

Mine out of the box (but throughly cleaned and luber with slip EWL) would not cycle one of the Win value pack shells. After 80 rounds and another cleaning it would cycle them, but threw them about 4-5 feet, instead of the 10 or 12 of anything more powerful. After about 400 rounds down range and well lubed to start, the gun would start to choke on them after firing about 150 rounds in a session. I got some of the nominally identical specification Federal shells and it throws them as far as much more powerful rounds. My conclusion is that the Win shells are actually loaded below the minimum requirements for function and the Federals are just over, such that the self regulating piston can supply all the force required to ensure the action works properly.

My Benelli M1 and M2 both functioned fine on the Winnies.