Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouches For Both Single Stack And Hi Cap?

DogmaDog

The CR Speed versa-pouches (or whatever they're called) can supposedly accomodate either. When mine arrive, I'll post regarding how well they work. I'll be trying them with mags for single stack, Beretta, and Glock.

A saw some a few weeks ago that had plastic "bases" on which the magazines sat. They were held in place by little springs. Apparently they'll hold anything with the right springs. I think they went with the Ghost holster.

They looked fast, but they also did not look very secure. If you have to crawl in a 3-gun match, you're going to lose some stuff.

CR Speed. Not the BEST setup for singlestack but it works. Same draw out motion.

I'd still look for someone's used gear (safariland) for single-stack. That way you can practice more efficiently, also load&make ready quicker. Less work to put the mags back into the pouch.

Got my CR Speed stuff this evening, and set it up for my single stack.

Now I see what people were saying, re: "not the best...but it works". It's hard to explain, but I should be able to post a few pics soon that will show how the pouches adapt to single stack mags.

The upshot though is that I like them. They're fast, secure, and simple. And like DogmaDog, I've got a hi-cap in my future, so they're a good investment.

Monster,

Cool...look forward to seeing those pics, or at least a report from the range about how they work with SS mags.

Right now I have one loose single mag pouch and a really tight Wilson double pouch that I swear adds a second or more to my reload time just because I'm sitting there pulling on the mag as hard as I can and it still won't come free and that popper is LAUGHING at me while the clock is ticking! AAAaaaaaahhhhh!

DD

For the tight double pouch, try (Pyroil) silicone spray. I use it after cleaning my gear from dusty matches.

About the ones with the springs - those are Aluminators. One spacer for doublestacks, another for singlestacks.

They sucked. :angry: Not secure. Flat out NEED to use 2 hands to re-insert mags into the pouches. Not a great way to practice. Sold them to a guy who insisted on paying me something for them. Wanted to give them away.

CR Speed looks just a little slow to re-insert a singlestack. Not bad, just not lightning quick. Plenty secure & plenty fast to draw out.

• 2 weeks later...

Monster,

Cool! I got vertigo from the first two pics until I figured out that's your view while actually wearing the things.

Those don't look like they'd function poorly at all.

I took the plunge anyway, and bought some Safariland 773s

Chuck at Shooter's Connection told me he thought the versa pouches wouldn't work with single stack mags (guess he is wrong), but the 773s seem like they'll work well, too.

Now I look like a real gun racing guy, I guess.

Merry Christmas,

DogmaDog

jspruance,

I think Monster has the stock Versa Pouch from CR Speed. I believe they come standard with spacers to accomodate all the different magazines you're likely to run into. I don't think Safariland makes anything functionally similar, or that CR Speed makes spacers to fit Safariland stuff. I'm basing all this from CR Speed's website:

http://www.rescomp.co.za/speed_pouches.htm

The pouches are much less expensive at www.shootersconnection.com than on CR Speed's website.

DD