Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patrol (& 3-gun) Rifle

ChristopherG

To bridge the gap.....what if someone were to be a competitive shooter(a very good one) with tactical experience? There are many of us out there.

Cool good to know. I am trying to bridge the gap myself but I won't claim to be very good yet. Good for my state but its a small group of shooters.

pat

Christopher,

16" mid, Kyle Lamb's new Xtreme rail, good quality white light, robust irons with Tritium front, no Tritium in rear aperture as it is very distracting that close to your eye and is unneeded, base rifle weight (barrel diameter and stock weight) on what you like, good quality single or two stage trigger not less than 3.5 lbs. a little heavier would be better. Keep the rifle as durable as possible. I respectfully disagree with AKpopo on his assessment of DPMS rifles. I think that properly maintained with the gas key properly staked they are fine. I also have owned or currently own Colt, Sabre, and LaRue rilfes and like them, too. Get good magazines and remember they are disposable. When one quits working throw it away. I like a good two point sling like the Vickers or Viking. Good shootin' and watch your six.

Joe

• 1 year later...

Be careful with a clamp-on front sight--some are made to clamp to the rail on the free float tube, which means they're too short to clamp onto a railed gas block. DD's is that way.

I bought a 14.5" lightweight middy from CMMG that I use as a patrol rifle. Initially, I had a permanently fixed Miculek brake on it so it could double as a 3-gun rifle. That didn't work so well--the blast is way too intense. I wound up with a Troy Medieval muzzle brake (not the flash hider), that seems to provide some braking, but not enough side blast to annoy the crap out of my police partners at the range. Be careful about how aggressive you go with a comp--more compensation/braking generally comes with more blast to the sides, which isn't good if you have buddies standing next to you (or kneeling right in front of you in a doorway). The A2 flash hider has always seemed to me to be perfectly fine as a flash hider, and much cheaper than the Phantoms and Vortices floating around.

I added a Daniel Defense Omega Rail to mine to free float the barrel, and mount a light. It's no larger in diameter than the stock handguards, so would prolly fit in your weapon rack. Mine has the light on the bottom, attached by a scope ring, with a tape switch along the top rail just behind the front sight, so it's amenable to the contemporary USPSA forward grip style, and ambidextrous. That could work the same way on a Troy TRX or VTAC rail.

On mine, the front sight is the traditional A2, doubling as the gas block. With a 16" barrel, you can get a few more inches of sight radius putting the sight just behind the muzzle device. For a fixed sight you could use a clamp-on front like Armalite's or JP's and have only one piece, instead of a railed gas block with clamp on front sight.

Conventional wisdom seems to say a rail-mounted front sight is less accurate than a barrel mounted front sigth. I'm not sure, but free float tubes are now available up to 15" long (TRX is one), so you could mount a front sight on the rail right behind the comp.

Definitely get a good trigger.

Hope they approve your RDS soon...my dept allows them, so long as the irons can be used with the optics installed. Whatev.

DD

Just a thought here on sights. If you don't want to shoot three-gun with irons, you can get a red-dot in a LaRue mount and swap it on and off easily. The LaRue mounts are pretty darn exact in their position so you will not loose your zero.

The EoTech mount isn't quite as precise, but it's pretty nearly so. I tried one on my AR and found I could take it off and on and it held the zero pretty well.

Edited by Graham Smith

I know this is an older thread, but I continually see some people recommending Colt. I have an H-bar, and it doesn't shoot for crap. Have tried it with multiple types of ammo. Factory, handloads, absolute prepped match brass handloads, and it wouldn't group less than 4" at 100yds with any of them. I consider it a POS and I feel that Colt is riding on their reputation. I do have a DPMS, Firebird, and 2 JP's and all of them run like rockets, but never again Colt for me....

I know this is an older thread, but I continually see some people recommending Colt. I have an H-bar, and it doesn't shoot for crap. Have tried it with multiple types of ammo. Factory, handloads, absolute prepped match brass handloads, and it wouldn't group less than 4" at 100yds with any of them. I consider it a POS and I feel that Colt is riding on their reputation. I do have a DPMS, Firebird, and 2 JP's and all of them run like rockets, but never again Colt for me....

I had a problem with my Colt too - very finicky with ammo. By contrast my RRA and DPMS run flawlessly. To each his own.

Concur. I just don't get the Colt hype. I'm sure they make a fine rifle, but I can't understand how they're so much better than everything else. The AR design is so modular, that the only real edge one company can have over another is better parts, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable pouring money into a Noveske or JP rifle than a Colt just cause it's a Colt.