Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please identiify this odd mark on my new 650

Someone know what this might be? It doesnt seem to matter much but I noticed this odd mark on my new press. It looks like a BB was shot into the aluminum and is stuck there. If I had to guess it looks like a spot where aluminum is injected into the mold to make the press and as the injector backed out it left a bead of aluminum that hardened. It is right over the swing arm joint but the swing arm moves freely so this seems to be superficial at best.

I just upgraded from a 550 that i have had for about 8 years and while there are little bumps and such on the press I never did notice any spot that was bare like this with out the blue on it. Maybe it is an ejection mark or something that was done to it after being anodized.

Every thing works perfect so far but should I worry about this at all or call Dillon?

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/dsc03081ob.jpg/

http://img42.imageshack.us/i/dsc03084f.jpg/

The machine does have the fittings to lube it with grease but those are located on the end of the bolts that hold the swing arm on. What I took a pic of is not a hole it is solid and I poked at it but nothing moves so I dont see it having anything to do with a being a lube point.

Update:

Called Dillon and they think it is a "plug". It looks a little too perfect to be a mistake so this makes sense to me but I have no idea why it would be needed. The other parts of the press and my 550 have little holes that you can stick oil into to lube the linkage arm bolts. Since I have messed with the plug scrapping at it with a screw driver I polished it back up with the dremel, lol. Guess I will move on but now others know what this is when they get the new version of the press.

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/dsc03085f.jpg/

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/dsc03087c.jpg/

Edited by Brian1911

This is indeed a plug for the old grease lubing hole in the frame. The link arm pins as of a week ago incorporate a zerk fitting for a conventional grease gun. So with the redisned pin, the old lube hole in the frame needed to be plugged to prevent lube from exiting there. BTW, this is a design change from now forward, and not a warranty replacement item. :cheers:

Thank you so much for the info. I was freaking out that maybe my press had a blem on it, lol. OCD is not fun to live with and I had dreams about it. :)

So how is it plugged exactly? Looks like a BB stuck in the hole but it wont move and appears to be melted into the frame. Also why does the lower crank have a hole left open in it and not plugged like the one above?

Looking at it makes me think since the lower crank hole is near the end of the bolt if I press grease in the fitting it will still travel nearly the length of the link arm pin. The one on top was near the front of the link arm pin and very close to the fitting so I can see why it would need to be plugged or grease would just exit out that hole.

There has always been a spiral groove around this pin for holding grease. The large lubing hole in the frame could let too much grease out, much less of a problem with the smaller holes in the crank. not sure what exactly the plug is, but is rather permanent.

Looks like it at the bottom of that page. Perhaps it was threaded and bites into the aluminum of the machine to secure itself. It sure isnt going any where and seems very secure. I was poking at it with a screw driver and made little scratches on it so the dremel came into play for a bit of buffing, lol. It just caught my eye not being blue and just a random hole there.

So you guys with the older press is there a oil hole in that same spot?