Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BB's in shotgun

Irate

Hello,

So I was reading some other posts on another forum and they were saying using BB's for a BB gun in .410 shotguns is a huge no no. I understand the difference between BB sized lead shot and actual BB's. I guess I can see why BB's would be dangerous in a 410 since they are in such a tall shell and they don't give at all. Does this dangerousness carry over to 12 gauge? Also, if these are dangerous because they don't give, why is comparable steel shot not dangerous as well? Thanks in advance as always for your info.

irate

Steel shot can be just as dangerous if reloaded improperly and choked improperly. The pellets have to give a little going through the choke. If I remember correctly, BB's are solid copper. Some pellet sizes are problematical from what I understand too. I'm pretty sure they don't make T or F shot in steel anymore because it was blowing out the ends of barrels. The bigger pellets had a higher tendency to stack up in the back of the barrel and then not give as it was going out the choke.

That's what I've heard. I don't have any proof this true. We've always loaded #2 steel shot for goose/duck outings, and used modified chokes instead of full chokes.

Edited by SA Friday

Air rifle BB's are copper plated steel. The metal used in these projectiles is MUCH harder than soft iron shot used for waterfowl.

They are not recommended to be loaded in a shotshell due to the potential for barrel damage from scratching the bore and damage to the choke since there is no "give" with the harder material. Most major shotshell manufacturers load "T" shot for waterfowl. I don't know about "F's".

They are not recommended to be loaded in a shotshell due to the potential for barrel damage from scratching the bore

So in theory, if I used a wad that completely encased the BB's (with the exception of the top of course) this would make them 'safe' to fire in a Judge since the judge has no choke? Maybe?

i

I don't think you should do it and here is why. Wads designed for steel shot are thicker and made of much tougher plastic than wads made for use with lead shot. When ammo companies first researched "soft iron" shot for waterfowl loads they found the lead shot style wads would not hold up to the harder shot material. The shot was cutting through the soft, thinner plastic and damaging the bore. I don't think a "steel shot" style wad exists for the.410 bore. In my opinion, and it is just that, it's not worth the risk of damaging your firearm and the increased potential for ricochets is a safety issue.

I don't think you should do it and here is why. Wads designed for steel shot are thicker and made of much tougher plastic than wads made for use with lead shot. When ammo companies first researched "soft iron" shot for waterfowl loads they found the lead shot style wads would not hold up to the harder shot material. The shot was cutting through the soft, thinner plastic and damaging the bore. I don't think a "steel shot" style wad exists for the.410 bore. In my opinion, and it is just that, it's not worth the risk of damaging your firearm and the increased potential for ricochets is a safety issue.

Well said and very good points. Perhaps I will just use BB size shot, that lead encased in nickel sounds like a good bet. Thanks very much for the tips and advice

i

+1 to what has been said, BB's for air rifles are HARD, my local range has basically said no to people shooting BB's because of the ricochet factor being pretty high, also that them beingthat hard, they will not compress like 'normal' shotgun rounds AND in your judge, you also have a barrel/cylinder gap to get past before the stuff makes it into the barrel, like waht was said, there basically isnt a wad system that will hold up to regular steel shot let alone going 'off the reservation' w/ non standard loadings in .410. as most of us have, feel the pain, pay the price for the regular loadings, and with it piece of mind im not shooting a potential BB filled grenade at the ends of my arms...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had a guy this week tell me he has filled his 410 with dimes and shot them. He said it destroys what ever you shot and the dimes.

Not sure I would try that !! in my gun

Brent

You couldn't. He is full of hot powder gas... or some sort of gas.

The old field test for choke was that a 12 gauge full choke would not pass a dime (.705"

diameter new.) How's he going to get that in a .410?