Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying with all 3 guns!

It looks like we'll be flying into the Ft. Benning 3 Gun this year and we've never flown with all three guns before. Does anyone have any recommendations on what can be used to transport all 3 guns? I know there is a large Pelican, but it is too long to fit in our car! Is it best to just take 3 Pelicans? I'm just thinking out loud here and would like to hear how others have flown with all three guns.

Thanks!

you are about to undergo one of the biggest pain in the arse you have ever had. i've done it twice-but will never again. had a pelican and stuffed all 3 in it...it's the other crap that makes it a pain. and wait till you tell them you want to declare a rifle, a shotgun & a pistol!

I really haven't had any significant problems with checking my guns when traveling by air. It only takes about 5 more minutes to check in the firearms. I would recommend, however, that you pack the actual gun case in a larger piece of luggage to disguise its true contents.

I use a 3300 storm case, with all but one layer of foam removed. This leaves more than enough room for my rifle/shotgun soft case and a pistol case.

The check-in procedures seem to differ between airports, so it's hard to tell you exactly what to expect. I've learned to not pack anything except my guns and their cases in the hard case though. Cleaning supplies, mags + all other equipment go in another checked-in bag.

So far, funny enough, San Francisco Airport seems to be the best airport with the most knowledgeable people and Phoenix the worst...

Edited by gose

Consider getting a smaller Pelican or Storm case and disassemble the shotgun and AR. Store them for transport and then roll up and pack your soft case for transport at the match. The smaller cases are much easier to transport in your vehicle and when you have to pick it up off the luggage conveyor. It also does not look so much like a rifle case and draws less attention.

Oh....and did you guys move?

Consider getting a smaller Pelican or Storm case and disassemble the shotgun and AR. Store them for transport and then roll up and pack your soft case for transport at the match. The smaller cases are much easier to transport in your vehicle and when you have to pick it up off the luggage conveyor. It also does not look so much like a rifle case and draws less attention.

Thanks Todd...yes we moved back home to Louisiana about 2 months ago. With the new job being remote we weren't held to GA by a job anymore and wanted to be back closer to aging family.

Or just put some non-gun stickers on it.

So far I think I've had three guys asking me about my 3300.

One guy asked what match I was attending, one guy asked what sport I do and one guy asked what instrument I play :)

Gun cases might not be as obvious to non-gun people as "we" think.

Edited by gose