Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 mm Moon Clip Problem

Guninhand

Hi folks,

I got some Scherer 10mm moon clips for a newly acquired S&W610 and there is a good bit of looseness with rounds snapped into the clips. It's impossible to just drop a clip into the cylinder without some jiggling. Also a loaded round or spent case can be removed from the clip with fingers alone.

I have a 1917S&W in .45ACP and loaded clips drop in fast and easy, and it is quite a chore to remove a case from the clip with bare fingers.

Are these 10mm clips faulty? Are there other brands that function better?

Granted, the back of the chambers haven't been chamfered yet but even if they were I think you'd need to hold the clip perfectly aligned to the cylinder and be perfectly in line with the pull of gravity and hold the clip very delicately so as not to disturb the free hang of the rounds, to get a fumble free drop in.

Any suggestions? TIA

John

Guninhand,

Combinations of Moonclips and different brands of brass can very loose. What type of bullet is used for the 10 mm? There are different brands of moonclips also. Hearthco moonclips are advertised of being stiffer. But you might try 40 brass to see if it easier loading. And there are some of us that use Speedsticks. "Speedloaders for Moons" They are a lot of ideas on revos and techniques out here. One guy even crazy glued his rounds to the moonclips. Works good if you have a plenty of moons for a match. I'll let others offer some more advice it will problably better than my ideas.

Hi Bubber,

The brass is starline and the bullets are Hornady hollowpoint. I just had to rush out and do an accuracy test, and the Hornadys were already loaded. The only other bullets I have are Montana Gold and my own cast 175gr truncated cone, which I shoot in a Glock20.

I'll try your recommendations, actually never heard of those speed sticks till now.

John

I have a couple of .45 clips that have the same problem. The problem is that the clip holds the round too loose and one or more of the rounds work themselves loose juuuust a little. Can't load a clip with even one round that backed out of the clip, so when you insert it, it won't "fall" in. You'll have to jiggle it until the round goes back in all the way. Try some different brands of clips. The www.moonclip.com clips seem to be the sh!t. I've never tried them though. I use clips ordered from Dillon Precision.

Guninhand,

You might try a different brand of brass. Starline brass is good but on the 38 specials the cut above the rim is a little deeper or larger and Starline brass is the loosest. Also stay away from any flat points on the bullet type if possible. Round nose work the best. Does your truncated bullet have a flat edge on it? If not you could give them a try.

You might want to go to www.beckhamdesign.com and check out their plastic moon clips, all the benefits of the metal ones without any drawbacks like bent, rust,etc. I tried some for my 625 and fell in love with them, the 610 version is supposed to be coming out this month. It's worth a try anyway.

Guninhand,

When I got my 610 I noticed that the edges of the holes in the cylinder had pretty sharp edges. I smoothed them a bit and it made a tremendous differance.

Later on I got my dremel tool out and after I was done, ( and I was pretty drastic) I polished with succesivley (sp) finer buffing compounds and finished up with red rouge and then flitz. The holes are slick. Now the bullets want to fall in, except if they are lead. I cast my own 175 g truncated cone bullets and they are pretty smooth. but when I alternate between jacketed and lead, I can tell the difference every time. While this may not be your problem, it is a possiblity.

As for the looseness in the moonclips. I wouldn't think you would want them to be completely rigid. Maybe you would, but it seems to me that if you allow the bullets to move a bit, if they hit a well-camphered hole they would go in easier.

One last thing. Be sure that your crimp is adequate. It should taper or roll in slightly to prevent the edge of the brass from catching on the edge of the hole. Like I said, camphering will help but until you do, make sure the edge of the brass isn't hanging up.

FWIW

Dennis

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...