Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp III Vs Jet Loader Speedloaders

Wayne

Is there anybody used both of these, and can tell me any differences in how they work ?

Reading the Jet Loader instructions on the Buffer Technolgies website, they claim you must not touch the cylinder while ejecting the rounds. I assume that is because the whole body of the speedloader twists/turns when the spring is unlocked by pushing the Jet Loader in. It sounds like it will not unlock and eject the rounds if it and the cylinder cannot turn freely.

Does the Safariland Comp III work the same, meaning you you also allow the cylinder to turn freely when ejecting ?

I have use Comp III's for many years and have loaded both ways holding the cylinder and letting it spin freely with no problems. I assumed the Jet loaders were the same as the Comp III's. I am not sure why they state that in their instructions?

Neal in AZ

I have only used the Comp III's. I hold the cylinder still with my left hand when reloading. I think that is important so you don't have to chase a moving target when reloading. :D With the Comp III's you turn the handle when loading the loose rounds into the speedloader. It doesn't turn when you load the revolver.

Bill Nesbitt

Wayne, The Jet Loaders and the Safariland Comp III's are the same in the way that they lock and unlock. The Safariland's have a shroud on them and that's the basic difference. I have used both. I cut my loaders down and fill the small hole in the "triggering" pin. I don't know how to go about getting a picture of the loaders except by sending an e-mail with pictures embedded or attached as a file. If you wish contact me and I can try something like that if need be.

The Comp-III is, in many ways, simply a more evolved version of the Jet Loader. I have both. I much prefer the Comp-III.

The Jet Loader is much shorter in overall length. For competition - and arguably for concealment - this is a non-issue.

As has been mentioned, the Comp-III has the spring shrouded, the Jet Loader doesn't.

The biggest difference, from a functional standpoint, is that the Comp-III has little, for lack of a better term, prongs, three in number if memory serves me correctly, around the front part of the loader from which the rounds protrude. When the rounds are inserted into the chambers, and the loader is pressed in to activate the spring insertion feature, the "prongs" ensure a slight gap between the front of the loader and rear of the cylinder, ensuring the rounds will clear the loader. The Jet Loader - at least the one I've had for years - doesn't have the prongs, therefore it's not at all unknown for rounds to hang up in the loader holes even after it's "sprung."

Get the Comp-IIIs.

Why are you not going to use SLs Don't they have them for the L Frame? I find them the best for my Ks.

Gary, I still might, but just thought to give the Comp III's a try since I can get them for the L frame I'm going to shoot. I always uses N frames before for IDPA and the like, and used SL Variants.

PLUS the SL Variants are much harder to find and more expensive. any info for me on that subject ?

PLUS the SL Variants are much harder to find and more expensive. any info for me on that subject ?

Here is the e mail for the SL distributor. Very good to deal with and take a look at the discount structure for multiple purchases. It includes handles, leather, loaders, etc. Regards,

Gary

speedloaderslvariant@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone,

Here is what I finally tried. I got 2 Comp III's. I have just had a few minutes to "play" with them.

Regarding the "spring" type reloaders, I have never tried the Jets, but have a lot of experience with SL Variants , and now the Comp III's.

What I find is the Comp III's seem much smoother then the SL Variants. What I mean is that when you eject the Comp III's, you eject all six equally off 1 spring, plus the base off the Comp III bottoms out equally against the cylinder on the 3 prongs. All 6 rounds shoot equally into the cylinder.

The SL Variants have for me on occasion, especially during speedy reloading such as in IDPA, will have a round hang up and get stuck in the SL Variant. The stuck round will then sometimes actually fall with the speedloader to the ground. This does not happen as long as the SL Variant is perfectly in line with the cylinder. But with 6 individual springs(one for each round), and trying to keep the SL Variant straight on the cylinder(center ejection post on SL Variant only balancing on cylinder center pin) it is easy to have the SL Variant cocked slightly. Then you can have the problem I described above. I have read this same problem from others. But, as long as you keep the SL Variant straight, and apply even pressure when pushing down, it works just as cleanly as the Comp III.

Wayne, You might want to wash them in hot soapy water. That will leave a film of soap on them, sorta lubricates them a little. Silicon spray will also work but use NO oil. Good luck.

Bubber's method of cutting down the Comp III speedloaders will turn your speedloaders into full race machines! The only problem I had with the Comp III's was the occasional and very aggravating habit I had of having a round get stuck between the chamber and the speedloader because I didn't orient the speedloader correctly when slamming it into the cylinder. What this means is that the speedloader would not "wipe" off the cylinder when I tried to close it after the reload. Now that I have cut back the Comp III "lip" that never happens.

The only down side is that you have to use a loading tray to load your rounds into the speedloader, as your palm will no longer provide a stable enough platform to hold the rounds in place as you twist the Comp III.

So if you ever have the same problem I did try the "Bubber way". :D

Paul

The only down side is that you have to use a loading tray to load your rounds into the speedloader, as your palm will no longer provide a stable enough platform to hold the rounds in place as you twist the Comp III.

Are you sure you're thinking of the Comp-IIIs? They don't "twist" to operate. They simply insert, then they eject the rounds, no knobs to turn or buttons to push.

Duane,

Unless they have changed the design you have to push down and twist to load the rounds into the Comp III. To eject them you simply push down. Maybe you're thinking of the Variants. I have some of those also and you're right. With the Variants you push down to load them and push down to eject.

Paul