Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kroil As Bore Cleaner?

bountyhunter

Guest Larry Cazes

Benchrester's have used this for years to clean their barrels that have had Moly coated bullets fired through them. Have never tried it myself but I have heard it is an excellent penetrating oil and therefore should cut powder fouling pretty well.

Kroil absolutely rocks. Use it as it comes, no dilution needed. It gets under stuff if you leave it in the barrel for a bit, then a patch or two and you are done. I always leave a film of Kroil in chambers and (rifle) bores.

I use JB bore paste in rifle barrels once in a great while. But because it is an abrasive, I don't use it very often, typically only when copper fouling starts taking acuracy away noticeably. A nylon brush, patches and Kroil get things plenty clean by themsevles.

I haven't used any other bore cleaner/solvent but Kroil (and JB ocassionally) for a couple years now, and I am not lookin' back.

BTW, I find that a drop of Kroil in the bolt carrier holes of an AR every 100-150 rounds keeps the bolt & rings clean-n-slick when you are in the middle of a match and have got a lot of shootin' coming at you with little chance for bolt dis-assembly & cleaning.

Regards,

At my company they use Aero-Kroil on all the steel tooling for injection molding. At the pressures they use (around 2000lb for polycarbonate) any failure to slide and separate would cost them a fortune.

PB Blaster is good for anything that's stuck. So is a Bic lighter.

The benchrest mix is 1/3 Kroil, 2/3 Shooter's Choice. Since it's hard to find Kroil where I am, I use Marvel Mystery Oil instead. First couple of patches are straight MMO, then the mix, JB or USP Bore Paste on a patch if necessary, some Butch's Bore Shine if necessary, finish up with a light coat of MMO to leave in the barrel. Don't mix the MMO/SC and the BBS, dry the barrel out well first. This is for my live varmint rifles. I shoot moly in most of these rifles, never had any problems, etc.

Don't know that I've ever had any solvent in a IPSC pistol, other than brake cleaner. Are you guys seeing copper problems in your handguns?

Rich

• 2 months later...