Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition from skinny gun to high cap STI.

Hardball

I have been shooting L10 for two years now, having started shooting IPSC/USPSA with a singlestack .45. I have obtained my B card in Limited as well as L10 with a single stack. (I shot Limited before L10 was thoroughly enforced in Fla.) To make this short, what are some good drills other than dry fire and mag changes that will aid in my transition to a high cap STI? I am moving from .45 to .40 cal as well. I know that bullet time will help, but I am in search of that A card and would like to cut the curve a bit. Thanks for any replies.

Greetings, Hardball!  I made the exact gun change you are talking about around four years ago.  Now, I find my self working on keeping familiar with the ol' single stack.

I made it into "Limited A" shooting the 1911 .45 in 1997, and then transitioned to the STI.  I posted a link to another topic under this Training Drills section in answer to your question.  I recommend the Dot Drill 101  because it can help you to self-diagnose any anomalies that may arise from the transition.  If no issues are present, you can move ahead with confidence.

There are things I notice when practicing with both styles of pistol, as I did yesterday. The difference in body width changes the way my hands meet.  The biggest adjustment seems to be getting the grip to "feel right".  And it's easy to louse up the position of my finger on the trigger when going from one gun to the other.   When drawing at speed, I must trust the grip to be "right".  If it isn't "right", I lack confidence on every shot fired.  You may find that you desire a short trigger on the wide body, even if you are shootng a long trigger in the single stack.  Everyone has different needs.  

Good shooting, - Sam

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...=5&topic=38

I just ordered a special grip for my single stack that as the same profile as the STI/SV widebody frame.  I haven't received it yet, but I'll let you know how it works when I do get it.  The idea is to have the grip size be almost the same on both guns, thereby making the transition between guns easier.  

See the one I ordered here:   http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/grips.html

I talked to the maker and he said he was having trouble switching from his Limited gun to his bowling pin gun, so he made himself a set.  So many people at his club asked for a set also, that he invested in a mold and stared making them.  Sounds like a cool idea, so I decided to try it.  I should have mine in a few days.

Well, I got the Pinnacle grip today.  It is hard plastic, and has a pebbled texture, similar to skateboard tape.  I put it on one of my single-stack guns and did some measuring with my dial caliper and a measuring tape.

I first measured the width of the single-stack with the Pinnacle grip.  I measured in the middle of the grip panels.  Width = 1.27"

I then measured the width of an STI frame.  Width = 1.28"

Next I measured the Pinnacle grip front to back (F2B).  I measured from the top of the mainspring housing, just under the grip safety to the middle of the front strap.  F2B = 2.080"

Then the STI the same way.  F2B = 2.065"

Lastly, I measured the circumference of both grips.  I measured from the top of the mainspring housing, just below the grip safety all the way around the grip.  Pinnacle circumference = 5 3/4".  STI circumference = 5 3/4".

Just for grins, I put standard grips back on my single-stack and repeated all the measurements.  They are:

Width              = 1.27"

F2B                  = 2"

Circumference = 5 3/8"

I was surprised a little that the single-stack measurements weren't that different.  The circumference being the main one that is different.  But then, I then tried the feel of the single-stack with the Pinnacle grip and then grabbed my STI.  I switched back and forth, and they felt very similar.  I then put the standard grips back on the single-stack.  I was amazed at how different it felt!  I could really feel where the grips stopped and the frontstrap started.  It was noticeably awkward.

I haven't been to the range to shoot the gun with the new grips, but so far, I think they may really help the transition between guns.

grips1.jpg

• 3 months later...