Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Nova for leftys?

RiggerJJ

Is the safety on a Nova switchable for left handers like a M1/M2? I have 2 M1/M2s and did the very easy mod mod myself...

(I don't want a "left handed" Nova if there is such a thing)

jj

Funny you should ask.

Fomeister and I just did this to my new Nova last week. You need to take out the trigger group, and then simply hammer the safety out one way and reverse it. Before you reverse it, you need to push down the detent and spring which lives just underneath the safety while looking down into the trigger group. I forget which way we hammered it out. Firm taps, nylon drift. It takes a little bit of tapping, more so than the M2 which if I recall didn't require any force.

I know for next time, you don't need to take the entire thing apart.... :rolleyes: but if you DO, there is a handy-dandy diagram in the operators manual. Educational 1/2 hour. :cheers:

Edited by Surge

I think the slide release is located inconveniently on the Nova for lefties. Otherwise it is a pretty cool gun.

ahhh yes, a continuing problem for the lefty... seems that slide release (and bolt release on an M1/M2) are always on the wrong side...same for the 870?

jj

Yup, it's on the right side at the front of the trigger guard on the 870 also.

ummm, I just handled a 870 Express, (right handed gun with right side eject) and the slide release is on the LEFT side forward edge of the trigger guard...????

the safety is backwards for a lefty however, but looks like it will reverse easily???

jj

Russel, (or is it 2 l's, as in Russell?)

Not being much of a pump gunneer, I'm not sure if a lefty would need much access to the slide release? I shoot a M1/M2, and the bolt release is pretty easy to bump with my right hand, usually my right thumb.

Putting my left trigger finger right on the slide release of the 870 was pretty easy... but I'm still leaning toward the Nova. As you are operating the pump/slide with the right hand, I guess the slide release needs to be accessable with the left hand some how...guess I need to play with one a bit more...

Can the 870 be augered out to open up the loading gate area and make it as easy to load as the Nova???

Guess I need to borrow Wyoshooter's NEW Nova fer a bit o wringing out... :ph34r:

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Even when I've run the gun dry, I don't use the slide release. It's much quicker to just drop the hammer on an empty chamber and cycle the forearm- no need to switch grip position.

Only time I use the slide release is at Load and make ready.

Good to know Bryan!

I played with one at Sportsmans Warehouse this evening, I can get to the slide release with my left trigger finger, but I have to dismount my shooting grip with my left/strong hand. I do like the sights on the VR barrel, small mid bead with a fiber front...

now all I need is that JP 308 rifle to show up on my doorstep...and rifle mags and mag pouches and shotgun racks and 45 mags and a holster and lots of ammo for lots of practice... :surprise:

jj

Great. Just what I need, another really good shooter to drop my finish position one more place in HM. :( I guess 3rd is the best I can hope for at the Blue Ridge next year. At least do me a favor- put a scope on the rifle so you're in HM Optics, not irons.

:)

The nice thing about HM is there is absolutely no question on whether it's a hit or not on flashers. :)