Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Sweeps

doc540

Indoor range also has a gun store.

Inside the range as I turned away from the lanes and looked through the glass window, I saw a customer aiming a large caliber, scoped wheelgun right at me.

Ok, he could've been aiming a foot above my head, but at 20 feet it appeared to be aimed right at me.

When I left the range, I discussed the issue with the owner and his son, and told them it was in their best interests and their customers best interests that at no time and for no reason to have a gun pointed at them.

The risk is made worse by the number of non-gun owners handling a gun for the first time.

They he-hawed around a little bit, but agreed and said they would be more aware of the problem.

I always go from the floor to the ceiling when handling a gun and, in the process, make sure the muzzle is never pointed at anyone.

Pretty simple, actually.

Whats the problem? It wasn't loaded. :surprise:

You're not going to believe this but that is the first place the shop owner went during his he'ing and haw'ing period.

He actually said, "We should probably pay more attention to that but because we're constantly handling so many guns from the display cases, and we know they're all unloaded, we....blah....blah.....blah." :wacko:

Edited by doc540

Gun Shops and Indoor ranges give most of us the "shakes"

I recall one incident where I was inside the indoor range at a gun store. I was not shooting and was at the back bench facing uprange, they have glass windows so the gun store can see the range. Well what do I see pointing directly at me? A Glock in the hands of an employee giving instruction to a couple of young ladies who are about to enter the range. :wacko:

I walk out there and ask him if there isn't somewhere better that he could be pointing that damn thing other than at me? Had a discussion with the owner a couple of days later after I calmed down. He tells me well the glass is bullet proof, I told him that I don't really care your employees really should find a better muzzle safe area to do instruction. He agreed and we parted ways. It took awhile before I came back and they seemed to have modified that behavior as I never saw it again.

I used to go to this range just east of Andrews AFB, MD when I was stationed there. I used to see all kinds of scary stuff. It was fairly close to south east DC and would attract all kinds of clientel. Blue colors, red colors, Aisan Pride, Arians... They would tone down their colors (some not wearing any), but the tattoos were there. More than once, I packed my stuff as fast as I could. When the gun got pumped like a piston while shooting, I left.

The safest handling of a firearm I have ever encountered in a store was at Walmart by two ladies who sold me a pink stocked Crickett for my granddaughter. Both of the ladies had to handle the rifle during the sale. One lady sold me the gun while the second fact checked the info on the gun (serial #) and the yellow sheet. At NO time was the muzzle ever pointed at any of the several customers who were waiting to be helped. At one time a customer walked up to the counter in front of the gun and one of the ladies turned it in a safe direction. I made a point of finding the store manager and telling him of the two ladies. :cheers: An interesting point after I paid for the gun... the sporting goods department manager, a gentleman, carried the gun to the store entrance where he handed it off to me. I wasn't allowed to carry it in the store even though it was in the box. The gentleman said he thought this store policy was completely bogus but had to do it.

CYa,

Pat

Not all of us folks that work in gun shops are idiots nor are we ignorant. I, myself, work in a gun store. It's about like saying all mechanics are too stupid to find desk jobs, I don't think they'd appreciate that. Like you avoid bad mechanics, you should also avoid bad gun stores. Stereotyping people isn't good for anyone.

Before I go any further,

• Hate rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is also not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

• If your hate rant has to do with shooting then it needs to be directed towards yourself.

• In general - The Hate Forum is not for venting about anything to do with anyone or thing that hits close to home here. Please keep that in mind when posting in the Hate Forum.

One of the problems is the design of most gun shops. Safety was never considered. So you have a long counter. Your choices of muzzle directions - north (your belly), south (customer's belly), east/west (down the counter at other customers). So after a while, you get a "I know its empty so I am not worrying about it attitude" and muzzle safety goes out the window.

Sweeping is going to happen in a gun shop when people are handling them in general. Counters... people walking around of various skills and muzzle awareness.. hell most times the muzzle is pointed at the customer in the case to begin with. But it's when a customer takes aim at another that really pisses me off. I was at a shop/indoor range getting my gear ready to shoot when I glanced to the counter and the owners daughter was taking a bead on ME with a handgun. She was about 50ft away and the range doors are in a little alcove. It might not have registered those were people in her sights. But still it was at ME. I took exception to that.