Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL questions

I bought a Hornady Projector in 1990 and the silly thing refuses to quit working. I've been thinking about upgrading to a more productive press, but I have to know that it will be worth doing. That brings up a few questions:

1. How many primers does the primer tube hold? I think that having a primer tube with a higher capacity than the one I have in my Projector might increse production.

2. How does the priming system in the LNL work? I cannot see it in the pictures I've seen. I've always felt that the priming system was the second weakest point in the Projector.

3. How does the case ejection work in the LNL? This is in my opinion the weakest part of the Projector. I removed it from the press more than once because of frustration with it.

4. Do you have to adjust the timing of the press often? This hasn't been a big deal for me, but I've had to re-adjust it three or four times since I bought the press.

5. How much difference does the case feeder really make? I've never had one, so I don't even know what questions to ask.

6. Are the old Projectors worth any money?

I would love to hear from people who owned both the Projector and the LNL.

Thanks,

Javier

Hi, Javier:

I, too, bought a Hornady Projector, although a bit earlier than you did. I bought one of the original Hornady Pro-7s, around 1985, as I recall. I had it updated to a Projector when Hornady made that available. I finally bought an LNL early this year. It is a much better press, and I think it is worth the price. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. How many primers does the primer tube hold? I think that having a primer tube with a higher capacity than the one I have in my Projector might increse production.

The primer tube still holds 100 primers, give or take a few. I think that is a safety consideration, more than anything. I have never had a primer ignite on the press, but I hear it can be pretty spectacular when they do. If that happens, you don't want a whole lot of primers in the tube. I use a Dillon primer tube filler, and that speeds up the primer loading operation. The primer tube capacity is the same as on the Dillon 650 and even the Dillon 1050. I don't think we will see anything larger until comeone comes up with a new prining system.

2. How does the priming system in the LNL work? I cannot see it in the pictures I've seen. I've always felt that the priming system was the second weakest point in the Projector.

The primer system in the LNL is what I would call a "shuttle" system. The primer system has a "slide" that picks up the primer at the back of the stroke (when the ram is up), and then moves it forward in line with the case when the ram comes down. The only shortcoming of the LNL system is that it still requires a push back on the operating handle to prime at the bottom of the stroke (just like the Projector). That slows down the operation a bit, but it isn't bad. The primer system on my LNL has worked perfectly. The primer system on the Projector was so bad, I took it off and primed manually (with a Lee priming tool) before doing the rest of the loading steps on the press. The LNL priming system works great.

3. How does the case ejection work in the LNL? This is in my opinion the weakest part of the Projector. I removed it from the press more than once because of frustration with it.

Make sure you get a current-production LNL press (within the last year), which will have the new EZJect system. That system works very well. The first LNLs had a wire eject system that users say worked well on most cases, but not on a few, such as the 9mm. That system was a bit, but not much, better than the system on the Projector. I never had to remove the ejection system on my Projector. (The priming system was the problem.) A smooth stroke solved most of my ejection problems. But the LNL is much better -- error free, so far.

4. Do you have to adjust the timing of the press often? This hasn't been a big deal for me, but I've had to re-adjust it three or four times since I bought the press.

I haven't had to adjust the timing on the LNL. I also had very few problems with the timing on the Projector in the twenty-three or so years I used it.

5. How much difference does the case feeder really make? I've never had one, so I don't even know what questions to ask.

I find that the case feeder makes about a 25% increase in reloading speed. What is really significant to me is that it takes away one step that pulls my concentration away from the rest of the reloading process. I find that to be the greatest benefit of the case feeder, not the added speed. On the other hand, the case feeder is the largest source of problems I have had on the new press. Hornady tried to make the case feeder fit all cases with very few additional parts. Mostly, that works. But I had problems with some .45 ACP cases bouncing when they hit the subplate after dropping out of the case feeder pivot. Sometimes they would bounce completely off the press, and sometimes they would just jam up the works. A couple of calls to Tech Support, and I got them to make me a new drop tube that is a better fit for the .45 ACP. That controls the case when it drops on the subplate, and completely eliminated the problems there. That was done at no charge by Hornady. Good product support. I also had a problem with cases jamming at the top of the feed chute, just as they drop out of the case feed bowl. That required disassembling the case feed bowl from the motor mount, elongating a couple of holes, and re-assembling the whole thing. Not a long or difficult job, and the engineer coached me about the process before I started. The case feeder now works well, but I consider that case feed bowl problem a manufacturing defect. It was easily fixed, but it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

6. Are the old Projectors worth any money?

LOL! I still have mine, so I hope they are worth SOMETHING! I actually still see them for sale on ebay. I wouldn't buy one, and I wouldn't recommend one to a friend. Sell it on ebay.

I am keeping my Projector for a planned "Case conditioning machine" project. That will involve a case trimmer at one stage, and possibly a few other steps to get fired brass ready for loading. But other than some eccentric application like I usually come up with, I don't think they are worth much.

Keep in mind that you can send all of you old shellplates back to Hornady and have them modified to work on the LNL for $10 each. It did take one month from the date I sent my shellplates (17 of them!) until I got them back. Just plan on being out of production for that length of time.

I really like the LNL. It is a great press, on a par with the Dillon 650 (which I have used), although not equal to the Dillon 1050 (of which I have one).

The price, if you buy from one of the on-line sellers and also get the free bullet deal, is ridiculously low. You might even sell you old Projector for enough to cover the difference! There's a lot of suckers on ebay!

I hope this information helps.

Jim M.

Edited by Jim M.

Jerry's sport center has it listed for $332.50, Cabellas has it for 399.99 but with free shipping, these are the two best deals I've found, I'm going to upgrade to a LNL or a dillon 550 :cheers:

No Projector but I do own and load on both the LNL and the Dillon 650 both have case feeders.

1. No luck on hicap primer tubes all brands and models only hold 100.

2. The LNL primer systems works very well as long as you keep powder in the cases and not on the shell plate.

3. Case Feeder - If you make a lot of small runs with different calibers don't waste your money.

4. Case Feeder - If you load at least a 1000 rounds our more between caliber changes it works well.

6. The spring ejector on the old LNL is mislabled on the diagram it is launcher, launches rounds out about 15 feet causing the shell plate to shake powder to spill and stoppage to clean the primer mechanism.

7. I have adjusted the indexing on the LNL once in 25,000 rounds. When adjusted properly it runs very smoothly.

8. Hornady has great dies, I sold all the Dillon, Lee etc dies and use only the Hornady.

With the new ejector system if it works as advertised the LNL is a great loader even without the case feeder. For bulk loaders like me the case feeder is a little trouble to adjust but it makes loading much faster.

With Case Feeder the Dillon 650 while more complicated will out perform the Hornady. Without Case Feeder the Hornady kicks the stuffing out of the Dillon. Priced with Case Feeder they cost about the same.

Hmmm...my primer tubes hold 108 large and 114 small primers respectively...the loading tube will hold 5 and 8 more if you drop them in by hand.

I never had any problems with my Projector that I didn't cause. Sorry I sold it because the eject system worked for me, and way better than the wire system on the older LNL I've got and am too lazy to update. Don't use the case feeder, so to remove the loaded cartridge and stick in a new case is kind of one motion now. Yah, it's slower but if I want real production I'll get a 1050

I only use Lee dies cuz they're cheap and they work but you have to turn the o-ring lock rings upside down for them to work.

When they suggest getting a separate powder drop assembly to mount the powder measure on for each caliber you have and have them adjusted accordingly...believe them.

JB weld is a good albeit permanent fix for the powder measure hopper when it comes loose and you've already turned it upside down once already.

Powder Measure info. On the Hornady LNL I use the pistol measure adapter. Loading multiple calibers I bought a metering insert for each caliber and it stays with the die. When changing calibers I just put the correct insert in and then verify it by weighing a charge then load on. This saves a ton of time and produces consistent ammo batch after batch.

I have had a lap full of powder from the plastic tube twice. I fixed that, its called duct tape and it works well. I also cleaned the plastic with Orange hand cleaner and can see the powder most of the time.

I only load 40 on my Dillon, I do have other conversion and tool heads. I don't load 38 SuperComp on the Dillion because the powder I am using Accurate 7 will eat the telflon insert out of the dillon powder bar.

The LNL Powder Measure needs to be cleaned reguarly, especially with AA 7 powder. I wash the tube parts down with brake cleaner and use a 45 bore brush on the inside of the tubes. When the inside of the tube is clean no powder sticks in it, when dirty the charge weights can vary slightly. No lubricant of any kind on the powder measure inside or out.

The LNL is versital and simple to use, the 650 is precision and difficult to set up and adjust each has its place, load a lot of one thing get the Dillon and enjoy only with case feeder. The LNL powder measure can be used on the Dillon if needed porvided you have an expander die.

Yep, call Hornady and order the sub-plate. It's an easy change. I did mine in about 20 minutes or if you aren't comfortable doing it they'll do it if you send the press back for $100.00 and give the press a going over while it's there from what I understand.

Oh, and get a bunch of extra springs for the primer slide, the powder measure and especially the one that goes around the shell plate.

I second that...

I buy the shell retaining spring in 3 packs. They last a while, but do get buggered up after a bit of use...

Edited by Jeff686

Just for my own information, is there any way to raise the LNL? if I got one it can not hang over the bench, the bench is full of drawers on top and would be blocked, the square deal I have has a stong mount, does the LNL have any such thing?

G+16, I just measured my LNL. It protrudes below the top of the bench about 9-1/2". I have never seen anything like the strong mount for a LNL press.

One thought: You might measure the various strong mounts that Dillon makes, and one might be high enough to lift your LNL press the right amount. I would expect the bolt patterns to be different, but a flat piece of plate steel or aluminum from Home Depot could be used to match up the bolt patterns.

Can other members here tell us the height of the various Dillon strong mounts?

Jim M.

Powder Measure info. On the Hornady LNL I use the pistol measure adapter. Loading multiple calibers I bought a metering insert for each caliber and it stays with the die. When changing calibers I just put the correct insert in and then verify it by weighing a charge then load on. This saves a ton of time and produces consistent ammo batch after batch.

I have had a lap full of powder from the plastic tube twice. I fixed that, its called duct tape and it works well. I also cleaned the plastic with Orange hand cleaner and can see the powder most of the time.

I only load 40 on my Dillon, I do have other conversion and tool heads. I don't load 38 SuperComp on the Dillion because the powder I am using Accurate 7 will eat the telflon insert out of the dillon powder bar.

The LNL Powder Measure needs to be cleaned reguarly, especially with AA 7 powder. I wash the tube parts down with brake cleaner and use a 45 bore brush on the inside of the tubes. When the inside of the tube is clean no powder sticks in it, when dirty the charge weights can vary slightly. No lubricant of any kind on the powder measure inside or out.

The LNL is versital and simple to use, the 650 is precision and difficult to set up and adjust each has its place, load a lot of one thing get the Dillon and enjoy only with case feeder. The LNL powder measure can be used on the Dillon if needed porvided you have an expander die.

CocoBolo, can you elaborate a little more on using the LNL powder measure with a Dillon press? I don't quite understand the part about needing an expander die. Doesn't the LNL powdermeasure expand the case as it charges it?

Also, how hard is it to change powders in the LNL measure? With my Dillon, I just remove the two screws holding it to the powder die to pull the measure and dump it's contents. Is it similar on the Hornady system?

G+16, I just measured my LNL. It protrudes below the top of the bench about 9-1/2". I have never seen anything like the strong mount for a LNL press.

One thought: You might measure the various strong mounts that Dillon makes, and one might be high enough to lift your LNL press the right amount. I would expect the bolt patterns to be different, but a flat piece of plate steel or aluminum from Home Depot could be used to match up the bolt patterns.

Can other members here tell us the height of the various Dillon strong mounts?

Jim M.

Thanks for you suggestion jim, I measured my strong mount and with the width of the lip on my reloading bench(counter top) it will just about make it, I figure with the addition of a top, it would work, now I just have to figure out if I want a LNL or a new dillon 550 :unsure:

Thanks for you suggestion jim, I measured my strong mount and with the width of the lip on my reloading bench(counter top) it will just about make it, I figure with the addition of a top, it would work, now I just have to figure out if I want a LNL or a new dillon 550

Nice problem to have! Actually, either machine will serve you well. I have used both, and prefer the LNL. I won't go into all of the features -- you can read those descriptions in lots of places.

The price on the LNL is competitive with the 550, but the performance of the LNL is about equal to the 650.

I wanted a casefeeder with the ability to handle rifle cases (.308, .30-06, etc.), and the LNL does that. The 550 doesn't. Also, I load a lot of different calibers, and the cost of caliber conversions is much better with the LNL.

If you were debating between the LNL and the 650, it would be a very close race. Against the 550, the LNL wins.

Jim M.

I have been using a Hornady progressive press since the Projector first came out, about 1986 I believe or just before.

I reloade for various reasons, saving cash is one. I have made a few modifications on the cheep

A CO2 container that is empty from a pellet gun makes a fast way to empty the unused powder from the measure, just cut both ends off

Powderdump3.jpg

Note the old computer floppy disk storage that holds the shell plates in an orderly fashion.

Powderdump5.jpg

How much do guys pay for a "strong mount" ?!? A trip to the local metal fabricator and I found a short piece of 8" rectangle tube for one of my presses, a left over piece of I beam for the other. just drill holes and paint and you save enough for more than a pound of powder. I wanted to raise my press up to a comfortable height for when I am sitting on a bar stool type of chair. I was not after strength, my bench top is 2X4 lumber on edge glued and nailed then ran through a large factory belt sander. You may also notice I found a roller lever on a piece of junk machinery and welded it onto the proper size bolt for a custom handle that reduced fatigue.

HornadyPress5.jpg

HornadyPress5.jpg

A rod with a mark, or light weight makes a good primer follower and provides a visual for primer level

HornadyPress6.jpg

CocoBolo, can you elaborate a little more on using the LNL powder measure with a Dillon press? I don't quite understand the part about needing an expander die. Doesn't the LNL powdermeasure expand the case as it charges it?

Also, how hard is it to change powders in the LNL measure? With my Dillon, I just remove the two screws holding it to the powder die to pull the measure and dump it's contents. Is it similar on the Hornady system?

Sorry been off line with a DSL Issue.

You can use a seperate expander die or Hornady has a powder thru die.

How easy is it to change powders. Well since the powder measure snaps in with the bushing adapter I just snap it out and turn it upside down and try to pour the powder back into the correct jug. When using on the 650 I have a powder drain that takes the place of the metering insert and just hold the jug under the measure turn the drain down and it is empty either way requires no tools. And you forgot about removing the failsafe rod on the Dillon and then adjusting it when you put it back on.. The Hornady is case activated and gravity plus the spring make it like the failsafe on the dillon.

You can't use the bushing on the Dillon you just screw it in like a die. No need to find you allen wrenches.

I did learn this weekend that I can buy an aluminum insert for the dillon measure so the powder does not eat up the plastic insert.

Ok so changing powder charge when changing loads. Since I have the pistol rotor and I bought 6 inserts I just snap out the insert and pick up the appropriate insert which I already adjusted when I invented the load and pop it in. Cycle a couple cases weigh to make sure I have it right and go about loading. This makes caliber/load changes quick and easy. Cycling the LNL to do powder adjustments (test loads) does not cause primers to be fed, in the dillion it just loads the primer discard tray.

Hope that clears it up.

• 2 weeks later...
...now I just have to figure out if I want a LNL or a new dillon 550

The price on the LNL is competitive with the 550, but the performance of the LNL is about equal to the 650.

If you were debating between the LNL and the 650, it would be a very close race. Against the 550, the LNL wins.

+1

I went through this exercise several years ago before deciding on a LNL. I used a Dilion 550 for years, and I much prefer my LNL over the 550. LNL vs Dilion 650 is a harder decision, particularly if price is not a concern. When I made this decision the price difference was greater than is is not and it seemed a complete no-brainer. If you load a variety of calibers, and change between them frequently, I'd go with a LNL.

I've recently been considering a second press and have decided to get another LNL over a 650 - or go whole hog and get a 1050

Chris posted:

I've recently been considering a second press and have decided to get another LNL over a 650 - or go whole hog and get a 1050

Seems like you guys have lots of fun choices to make. 650 vs. LNL, 650 vs. 1050, LNL vs. 1050.

On that choice between the 650 (or LNL) and the 1050, for most shooters (particularly those who can have only one progressive press), the 650 or LNL is a better choice. I prefer the LNL to the 650, but that is based on my personal situation -- I load a lot of different calibers, and the caliber conversions are MUCH cheaper on the LNL. I also had an old Projector, so I already had 17 Hornady shellplates that I could use with the LNL. So for that personal situation, the LNL was the better choice for me. Between those three presses AS AN ONLY PROGRESSIVE for most shooters, I prefer the LNL, even if you are starting from scratch.

I also have a 1050. It is a great press, and if your situation justifies it, I definitely recommend it. However, caliber conversions are EXPENSIVE. The 1050 is limited in the calibers it can load. Generally, fairly common pistol or short rifle cartridges are going to work. Longer (or Magnum) rifle cartridges won't fit. Either the LNL or 650 will load a lot more calibers. If that is important, get a 650 or an LNL.

One other disadvantage of the 1050 is that caliber change-overs are fairly complicated and time-consuming. By the time you have loaded the first 1,000 cartridges, that change-over time is made up and forgotten. That is the key to the major advantage of the 1050 -- If you load a lot of cartridges at a time with few change-overs, nothing on the market can beat the 1050. For someone who loads a large variety of calibers, that person will need a press that is easier to change over. In that regard, the LNL is the best of the three we are discussing here, the LNL, 650 and 1050.

In my opinion, the 1050 is indicated for a shooter who shoots a lot and wants to reload large quantities of a single caliber, or just a few calibers. Some shooters reload only a single caliber! For them, if the reloading volume is sufficient to justify it, nothing is better than a 1050.

Other reloaders (and it sounds like Chris is in this category) reload several different calibers, and a more flexible press (a 650 or an LNL) would work better, a least as a first press. But if those shooters also do large production runs of one caliber that fits on the 1050, nothing is better. Keep the LNL for the short runs, and times requiring a quick caliber change-over, and leave the 1050 set up for the high volume cartridges. That's what I do, and that works great for me.

Jim M.

Edited by Jim M.

lugnut posted:

I never understood the need for a device to empty the powder drop. With the bushings in the LNL- just take it out and tilt it upsidedown to empty... much easier and faster.

lugnut, that's true for the current "Lock-N-Load" Hornady presses. On the older Projector presses without the LNL bushings, the case activated die just screwed in, and you had to remove the powder measure from the powder drop die.

For those presses and powder measures, Hairtrigger has a good idea with the CO2 canisters. However, that won't work on the new "Push-Button" powder measures unless you also machine a groove in the cut-off canister for the push button lock. But as you note, that isn't necessary if you have the LNL bushings. The push-button powder measures came only with the LNL presses, as I recall.

I really like that handle Hairtrigger has on his press! I wish I could come up with something like that. I have a Dillon 650 aluminum roller handle on my LNL press, but that handle Hairtrigger has looks even better.

Jim M.