Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Assemble your own magnetic magazine holder

MoNsTeR

You will need:

1 Blade-Tech small/utility Tek-Lok attachment, $9.95

http://blade-tech.com/Tek-Lok-Utility-Belt...all-pr-837.html

One pair 1" countersunk neodymium ring magnets (two Norths or two Souths will also work, N/S pair is cheaper), $5.25

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RX033CS-P

Two #10 cut washers, a sack is $.98 at Home Depot, or you can dremel off a couple of .45ACP case heads

Insert the screw collar through the mounting plate, then place a washer around it, then the rubber spacer on top of that. Place the magnet on top of the spacer, then screw it down. Repeat. I laid mine out in a diagonal arrangement, but vertical, horizontal, and slightly-less-diagonal (e.g. top-right and bottom-center) will fit as well. You can even mount 4 magnets if you can supply additional mounting hardware. Latching the Tek-Lok unit onto a CR Speed belt is basically impossible by hand, but can be accomplished with vise grips or similar.

Unfortunately the shipping charges push the cost up pretty close to what you can buy a Ghost or Double Alpha for, but it was fun to make it myself. And if you order several units, the average cost comes down quite a bit.

post-2700-1256494058_thumb.jpg post-2700-1256494067_thumb.jpg

Edited by MoNsTeR

With the full big stick on the magnets, if I shake the belt, and kinda snap it back like cracking a whip, I can make the mag come off (not wearing it, mind you). But with 2 magnets, wearing the belt, I can't make it come off by running and stopping, or anything else one would be likely to do in a match. With one magnet I could which is why the finished unit has 2.

Edited by MoNsTeR

Hello: Some of those rare earth magnets are very powerfull so I think you would not drop a mag easily even Glock mags. Thanks, Eric

I purchased 4 quarter sized rare earth magnets and attached them to my belt with electrical tape. So far it has never dropped a mag but you can't just yank it off the belt, you need to slide it from the magnets.

Bill

I have the Double Alpha magnetic mag holder. It is strong enough that if I throw the mag at it quickly the magnet will just grab it if I put the mag anywhere close to it.

If these are strong enough to do that then I'd think you are good to go.

Chris

Thanks for sharing with us. I ordered two double mag pouches from blade tech for my ruger mk III pistol mags. They sent me an email and said they could only make single mag holders for those. I really wanted a quad holder. Now I am going to use an extra tek lok clip and attach a piece of acrylic to it to recess some of those magnets into. I should be able to put four mags sitting flat next to each other on a holder that is just slightly larger than the double holder that I use for my XD 40 mags.

Find an old microwave and take the magnatron tube out. The last one I pulled apart had 2 magnets that were strong enough to hold 2 extended para mags at the same time. The only problem is that they have to be leverage apart instead of trying to slide the mag off.