Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930SPX for 3 gun and USPSA?

Ontarget

Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions on the Mossberg 930spx. Is it a good choice for 3 gun and USPSA multi gun? Do you see many in competition? Thank you.

They are fairly new and I have not yet seen one run in competition. I shot one for about 30 shots on sporting clays and it ran well and seemed okay. I have a freind who bought one (in Arkansas) with the intent of running it in 3 gun. Hope they work since they are so inexpensive. Sorry I can't give you more. Maybe in a few months.

Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions on the Mossberg 930spx. Is it a good choice for 3 gun and USPSA multi gun? Do you see many in competition? Thank you.

They are fairly new and I have not yet seen one run in competition. I shot one for about 30 shots on sporting clays and it ran well and seemed okay. I have a freind who bought one (in Arkansas) with the intent of running it in 3 gun. Hope they work since they are so inexpensive. Sorry I can't give you more. Maybe in a few months.

I have a 930 SPX Home Defense. I added a Choate +4 tube and Combat Bolt Handle. I got it used for $230! With adds I’m still under $300.

I shot it at the Arkansas Section 3G Match in August and have maybe 400 rounds through it. It has not jammed or miss fed once! It eats anything you feed it. I even ran some 20ga shells through it just for fun! (Kidding)

Check out this link and do your home work. http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167

One of the guys at the August match that is nationally ranked asked what I was shooting. I told him a Mossberg 930. He said he was hearing good things about them and that may be the next big thing in shot guns. There is plenty of info online; you just have to look for it.

One problem is the bead sight on the Home Defense. If I were buying again I would get the one with the LPA sights and had the barrel cut for screw in choke tubes.

The gun shoots really (14"!) high with the bead. I added a taller FO sight on mine and it still shoots high. My plan is to purchase a 24" VR barrel from Mossberg and add sights on the rib. You have to special order the barrel to get it without porting as all their VR barrels come ported. Mossberg told me they would sell one without the ports. My tube extends past the 18.5" barrel by about 4".

I think the problem will come in with the 930 not having chokes so the longer shots might have the shot expanding too much. That's one of the reasons I dropped it from my short list for a future shotgun purchase. I wish it did as it would be a much cheaper option.

I think the problem will come in with the 930 not having chokes so the longer shots might have the shot expanding too much. That's one of the reasons I dropped it from my short list for a future shotgun purchase. I wish it did as it would be a much cheaper option.

You can get them threaded for screwing tubes for less than $100. New barrel from Mossberg for about $200-$250.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now shot just over 100 rounds through my SPX with MANY more on the way; no problems so far. Love the ghost ring sight. Choate handle and metal thumb selector on the way. My only concern so far is the incredible lack of basic accessories. Hopefully soon!