Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S_I 2011

hal1955

Does the S_I 2011 with the plastic frame make a a good open gun? I'm just wondering about plastic vs steel frame.

Most open guns are S_I. It's not a plastic frame, just a plastic grip. It's a modular design where the grip comes off the frame and there is an option for Aluminum grip as well though it's pricey.

Have a look here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...e=%2BOpen%2BGun

Edited by JThompson

Does the S_I 2011 with the plastic frame make a a good open gun? I'm just wondering about plastic vs steel frame.

You're getting some confused responses because just about EVERYONE (in the US in particular) uses an STI/SV frame in their Open guns. Aluminum grips for STI/SV guns are new, and some folks seem to like the feel... but most still go with the polymer grip.

STI 2011 "frames" are a modular unit. The top is typically steel (some aluminum ones out there) and the lower is polymer (although aluminum is a option now). Maybe the pics below will explain it better.

"Frame"

Img81.jpg

+

"Grip"

510745.jpg

=

Typical USPSA Open Gun

sti_grandmaster.gif

JoshF was very helpful with the pictures separating the the grip and frame in relation to the whole pistol.

There are many action shooters that may not ever come across the STI/SVI platform.

I still have friends that don't know about the modularity of the 2011 design and still think the frame is plastic.

I didn't really pay much attention either until I picked up my first one, took it apart, and understand how it all goes together.

in 92 when they first came out, we were skeptical, just like sticking a dot on a gun(who'd a thunk it???) but it made sense to have a polymer lower frame to off set the weight when you stuffed a mag that at thattime held 19 rds of super in it....questions of durability soon evaporated, i have one of the first gunracer frames on the west coast circa 92 and its still going strong