Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Feed Bar Sticking

rduckwor

The primer feed bar on my 550 is sticking when it moves to the rear to pick up a primer thus failing to grab the primer. I've cleaned it, run it dry, tried lightly lubing it with graphite, and finally adjusted the flat metal spring that buffers the primer retention pin. No joy. I put a little more bend in the driving rod on the primer system to push the bar back a bit harder/farther, but finally had to resort to tapping the rear upright on the primer bar with my finger on the down stroke of the press handle. Actually worked out well in my rhythmic loading routine, but I would still like to figure this out.

No significant witness marks on the bar, so I'm somewhat at a loss for what's going down here.

Any suggestions as to what else I can try?

TIA

Bob Duckworth

Try loosening the two allen screws that hold the primer assembly and carefully realign it for free-est movement before just snugging down the bolts. Bending the operating rod is not a solution, in my experience. The problem lies elsewhere, but if your operating rod is bent, replace it.

If the black plate (the slide bearing surface) underneath the slide is worn a new one will help. A polish on the bottom and sides of the slide may help as well.

It's important to keep the slide and bearing surface clean of primer dust. I wipe the surfaces down with M Pro 7 every 100 primers: it cleans and keeps the sliding surfaces very smooth (small amount of lubricity ??). I had all the problems in my primer mechanism you had and more, until I started cleaning with M Pro.

Best of luck.

Curtis

Edited to add: I used to use alcohol to clean those surfaces. The M Pro 7 actually keeps them working smoother.

Edited by BayouSlide

I had similar problems when I first got my 550. I sanded the bar with some 600 grit to really smooth it up then I polished it with a buffing wheel on the dremel. +1 for loosening up on the allen screws. I also use graphite on the bar.

I had a similar issue but managed to fix it. What seemed to work was this: I moved the assembly (it's held down by an allen screw) that attaches to the top of the driving rod on the primer system down the primer tube as far as it would go, until it touched the frame. At that point the primers would feed properly most of the time. It works almost 100% now.

This is something Brian has posted in the past and solved my problems. Particularly the last bullet point as the above poster has said. That increases the effective stroke of the primer bar.

Hope it helps

Kevin

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

* Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

* Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

* At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

* Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

* Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

* Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

* Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

I had the same problem after owning my 550 for a few years. I noticed that the 2 holes where you screw the bolts into the primer assembly had caused 2 bulges in the aluminum where the primer bar slides. I believe this was from constant torquing of the bolts when I removed the assy. for cleaning. I trued the area with a file until the bulges were flush with the rest of the part and all problems went away. Take a look at that area.

It is gunk that builds up on both the transfer bar and the alignment plate under neath. Remove the primer transfer bar and sand the bottom, top and the alignment plate with 100 grit sandpaper, not much, just enough to remove the gunk. I have 2 550's and this is something you must do periodically, maybe every 2-3k rounds.

It is gunk that builds up on both the transfer bar and the alignment plate underneath. Remove the primer transfer bar and sand the bottom, top and the alignment plate with 100 grit sandpaper, not much, just enough to remove the gunk. I have 2 550's and this is something you must do periodically, maybe every 2-3k rounds.

I also had a similar problem when I had my 550. All the above solutions are something to try, however, I would not want to file down the bar or the bar seat :surprise: (polish yes, file no). Anyway, I found a few things to keep in mind. Remember that the allen screws on the bottom only should be finger tight and not cranked down. Also, do not forget to check the feed tube plastic nipple. If it is bent or to tight you could be having issues with the primers dropping and not the alignment.