Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major/minor In Idpa

635 PCSO

My goal is to start shooting IPSCA and IDPA as well as some local action competitions starting in January. SInce I have no idea what I will be doing I did not want to go purchase a new gun. I wanted to use my 686 which is also my duty gun as well as a GLock 21. I enjoy shooting the revolver more so I ordered 6 Safariland speedloaders and 6 Safariland speedloader holders. I have also ordered a ton of ammo. I have been told that the metal safariland clamp type speedloader holders are not allowed in IDPA I have also been told that 38 special ammo is considered minor in IDPA and will keep me from being competitive. Is this true? The speedloader holders are very secure I wear them on my duty belt and never have trouble even during scuffles or foot pursuits.

You are allowed to use your LE duty rig in USPSA (IPSC in the U.S.) and IDPA. If that's what you use while on the job you are allowed to use it in either game. There is a law enforcement category in USPSA. Stock Service Revolver Division is all scored minor anyway, so you would actually be handicapping yourself by shooting major loads. Whoever is telling you these things about IDPA rules should go check a rulebook.http://idpa.com/rulebook5-2-01/Rulebook.pdf

One thing to remember, and correct me if I'm wrong. When using a holster with a retention device (strap) the strap must be used. I would think that your duty holster would have a strap and therefore must be used. The safarilland holders aren't legal for SSR in IDPA, you might be able to use them since they are part of your LEO duty rig, but keep in mind that you'll probably have to use all of your duty rig and not just the holders with some other type of holster.

As choltmeier alluded, there is no "major vs. minor" in IDPA. Each of the divisions merely has a minimum PF floor.

From the rule book online at http://www.idpa.com:

-Minimum power floor for STOCK SERVICE PISTOL division is 125,000 (bullet weight x muzzle velocity).

-Minimum power floor for ENHANCED SERVICE PISTOL division is 125,000 (bullet weight x muzzle velocity).

-Minimum power floor for CUSTOM DEFENSIVE PISTOL division is 165,000 (bullet weight x muzzle velocity).

-Minimum power floor for STOCK SERVICE REVOLVER division is 125,000 (bullet weight x muzzle velocity).

• 2 weeks later...

At the club level, your gear won't matter as much as you getting started in the game. Later on, if you choose to shoot state/regional matches or the Nationals, you will have to comply with all the IDPA rules. Theorictically, your duty gear is fine, but some match directors take this to include handcuffs, radio and OC spray.

The confusion about the 'major/minor' is because in IDPA the power floor is divison based, and not caliber based. For example, all Glocks are SSP. So you could shoot a Glock 21 (.45acp) in SSP with a 230 gr bullet going at least 544 fps (125 floor). Or you could choose to shoot a Glock 21 in CDP and have to crank up the speed to 718fps to meet the 165 floor. And you would have to load only 8 plus 1.

You won't find too many shooters in USPSA or IDPA using a wheelgun. You may want to try ICORE. It's only for wheelgunners.

It seems to me the amount of revolvers "SSR" is growing in the IDPA. I enjoyed shooting the SSR but now as some would say I've swithched to the other side, now shooting autos. The SSR is fun because other auto shooters look at you with a dazed and confused look. :unsure: What they don't understand confuses them! :P