Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x23 Advise

riden

May have an opportunity to buy a nice used Caspian open gun and several mags. The gun is currently chambered for 9x23.

I've performed a search and have read some previous posts, but want to gather some additional information. I currently shoot 38 Super Auto in another gun and have read where 9x23 should run either 38 Super or Super Comp okay.

What is there to question or consider further (like needing another extractor, etc.) before buying, if I want to shoot Super in the gun?

Thanks!

Riden,

I am NO EXPERT, but this is what I believe to be true. The 9x23 will chamber and fire the .38 Super with no problem........usually. You might have to change out the extractor, but that is iffy, and basically you need to fire the pistol and see if it extracts O.K. Many use the Aftec extractor and love it for this purpose.

One CAUTION. The web and rim area are SUPER STRONG on the 9x23 brass............. many say the strongest of all semi-auto cartridge cases. Many feel that if the 9x23 is so powerful, that they can load up hot .38 Supers and not have to worry with a gun designed for 9x23. Such is NOT THE CASE. The 9x23 web does not need the kind of support that a hot .38 Super does. The .38 Super case is NOT super strong, and if you are going HOT, you need a supported chamber. The 9x23 case does not need the support because the web is so strong.

As I said, I am NO EXPERT on this cartridge, so BE SURE TO CONSULT A GOOD GUNSMITH who KNOWS about 9x23 BEFORE taking any chances.

And by the way, if you are tempted to go with 9x23, REMEMBER that despite the external dimensions of the brass, the CAPACITY of the 9x23 case is LESS than that of the .38 Super (because of the interior reinforced web of the brass). This means that similar loads in each case will give MUCH HIGHER PRESSURES in the 9x23 than in the .38 Super case............. AGAIN, CONSULT SOMEONE THAT KNOWS MORE THAN I DO................. BUT CONSULT SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR WAY AROUND THE 9x23.

Sorry about going on, but I would like to be sure that all your digits stay attached to your hand!!! :P

Best of luck and safe shootin',

Jeffro (Jeff)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting 9 x 23 just about since it was "invented". This is a rimless cartridge and the 38 Super has a small rim. This could require that the extractor be set a little more in. The 9 x 23 has a taper over its length while the 38 Super is more squared off. New 38 Super brass can jam in 9 x 23 chambers but if resized with a Nowlin/RCBS 9 x 23 die will run o.k. The rimless feature is said to help the cartridge feed more easily from double stack mags and in my experience, this is true. I have found that the Starline 9mm Supercomp (now marketed as 9 x 23) has greater case capacity then the original CP or Winchester brass.

Caspian frames without the grips rock...very slim feeling..

I have been shooting 9x23 for about 3 years now...Super will fit..you may need to just readjust the tension on the extractor as it will be in further for the rimless 9x23 case. depending on how the chamber was reamed...you may have some initial troubles with your brass.

9x23 is slightly smaller at the case mouth and slightly bigger at the case head than super..

One more point, very early supers where designed to headspace on the rim, not the case mouth that's why its a semi-rimmed case. True super barrels have this rebate in the barrel. If the 9x23 barrel does not have it the case many not go in all the way. Take the barrel out and drop a round in and see what happens.

If its a fully supported chamber you won't have pressure problems. The first 9x23 1911's where unsupported chambers in un-ramped barrels that's why the case is so strong.