Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags for open 9mm?

Aircooled6racer

Craig: I have no secrets at all that's why I ask all these questions :surprise: You can use the Preban 131mm mags with the Dawson old +2's and they are like the 140mm mags then. I guess it depends on what you are used to and what works for you. As for doing all reloads with 170mm mags that is alot of mag to carry around my waist even if I only put 10 rounds in them. At first I was going to try mostly 140mm mags but they are out of stock right now. I guess that comes from shooting Production and single stack for a while with all those reloads. I do appreciate all the great info and can't wait to get the 170mm mags to see how many rounds I can get into them. Maybe 30 rounds and fit the gauge? Thanks, Eric

I do appreciate all the great info and can't wait to get the 170mm mags to see how many rounds I can get into them. Maybe 30 rounds and fit the gauge? Thanks, Eric

Definitely possible, but usually takes a bit of tuning to get 30 and run reliably. Many seem to need to have the indentions on the side extend a little farther down to keep the follower from rolling when you get past 29 rds. R,

Hello: I can tune the mags since I was a Tool and Die maker many moons ago and can make some tooling to form the mags into the shape they need to be :cheers: I will wait to get the mags in hand to see what I am getting into first. I am still working on the SVI 22 round 40 reloadable Limited mags. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I can tune the mags since I was a Tool and Die maker many moons ago and can make some tooling to form the mags into the shape they need to be :cheers: I will wait to get the mags in hand to see what I am getting into first. I am still working on the SVI 22 round 40 reloadable Limited mags. Thanks, Eric

Oh great, I leave NM just as someone who can tune mags moves there :P

Extending the indent on the side of the tube appears to be a pretty simple operation and I know Pat at RGPSC has done that on at least a couple of tubes after he measured and examined one of my tuned SV tubes....I'm sure he'd share how it's worked for him. R,

Chris: It's funny you should tell me about Pat since he just sent me an E-mail about how he wants to look over my shoulder when I try to tune the mags for 30 rounds :roflol: The fun should begin next week if all the parts get here. Now I just need a 9mm Open pistol :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Chris: It's funny you should tell me about Pat since he just sent me an E-mail about how he wants to look over my shoulder when I try to tune the mags for 30 rounds :roflol: The fun should begin next week if all the parts get here. Now I just need a 9mm Open pistol :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Dear God man, you're going to let a dangerous guy like that stand behind you <shudder> ....make sure he checks all guns and shivs at the door :lol:

I go out to rake some leaves and come back to find out that you two are talking about me. :surprise: Sheesh!

CYa,

Pat

Oh no, now I've gone and done it! There might just be time to get into the MI witness protection plan....I have to go see a judge in the morning anyway. :ph34r:

I go out to rake some leaves and come back to find out that you two are talking about me. :surprise: Sheesh!

CYa,

Pat

Oh no, now I've gone and done it! There might just be time to get into the MI witness protection plan....I have to go see a judge in the morning anyway. :ph34r:

Chris,

For some reason I don't think a G-man nicknamed Bulldozer :ph34r: needs to be skeerd.

Pat: Leaves? This is the desert man all that is here are tumbleweeds :roflol: Lots of tumbleweeds! Nice weather though and the Lobos soccer team won :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Desert? Man, you bought that line from the Albuquerque Visitors and Convention Bureau? :roflol:

I think I'll go ride my scooter. What a gorgeous evening!

Take care gents,

Pat

Just getting ready to go for a ride and just had to make a comment here regarding Chris and Eric... it's a shame you two guys never had a chance to meet. You both would have really enjoyed knowing each other. Couple of great guys! :cheers:

Adios,

Pat

Hello: Well received the 170mm SVI tubes today. None of the base pads I wanted to use fit the gauge. So out came the grinder and now almost all fit the gauge. They feed great so far but I will have to message the tube a little to get that extra round. The only base pad I have not tried is the Bolen but may borrow one to see if that gives that extra room. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have the combo I am going to run in the 170mm now. I have tried all the base pads I could think of to use. I tried the new SVI 4mm base pad and it works well but have a problem now with stripped threads in the base pad setscrew. I will give them a call tomorrow to see what can be done. The base pads I will be using are the Dawson +1 and "SNL" and the Grams 4mm. Now to get some 140mm tubes to play with so I can get 25 rounds in them. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Well received the 170mm SVI tubes today. None of the base pads I wanted to use fit the gauge. So out came the grinder and now almost all fit the gauge. They feed great so far but I will have to message the tube a little to get that extra round. The only base pad I have not tried is the Bolen but may borrow one to see if that gives that extra room. Thanks, Eric

The 3mm Bolens will fit the gauge. The 4mm will fit with a tad of selective grinding. Key word: tad.

I use the 4's and get thirty rounds of 9 major in them.

• 1 month later...

Hello: Update. I now have 3 170mm SVI mags that hold a reloadable/reliable 30 rounds. I also have 5 SVI 140mm mags that hold a reloadable/reliable 25 rounds. I have 2 STI 140mm mags with no spacers that hold 20 rounds that I plan to use for shooting steel and practice. I am not sure if I need to get any more mags at this point--- or do I :roflol: Thanks, Eric

What parts setup did you finally end up with to get 30 rounds? How did you tune the tube? Dimensions? I'm all about DIY mag tuning. I have lots of free time. I've been playing with my STI tubes. I am able to get 29 with Dawson +1 SNL pads, Grams springs and followers. I'm still getting occasional nose dives. Maybe 1 out of every 3 mags. Not sure about how to fix that.

Same tubes and base pads I get a 100% reliable 27 with Dawson Competition Followers and ISMI Springs (recommendation from this site). The extra length on the Dawson follower is limiting capacity. I haven't tried cutting off the bottom of the followers, but that may be my next step. I'm not using the spacers with my STI tubes. Thanks.

Hello: I suggest you try some of the other products out there to see what you get. There are some different base pads, followers, springs and tubes that you will have to play with. What may work for me may not work for you. I think reliable mags are more important than maximum round count mags that may fail. If you are getting 29 rounds with some nose dives then that is not good enough. You may want to try 28 rounds with no nose dives. You also have to make sure the pistol is right as well. It is a package and what works in mine may not work in yours. Getting the feed lip angle and distance is a start to making the mags work. You may also find you like certain brands because of there style and ease of use which also comes into play. If you are shooting around lots of sand then you may decide on a different base pad etc. for ease of cleaning. Sounds like you are on the correct path though. Keep playing around with the mags and have fun. Thanks, Eric

I have some Infinity tubes on order. I was hoping to start with your proven combo on the Infinity tubes. You can't go and post something like I got 30 in my big stick easy and then not post the details for us!!! :D If I know if I start with a proven combo of springs, followers and base pads I can narrow down any problems I have to the tubes.

I'm done messing with my STI big stick for now. Starting with 28 in the gun is serving me well. I'm confident that there aren't any problems with the gun. A friend has some tuned Infinity big sticks (Infinity follower, Bolen pad, not sure on the springs). They hold 29 and function perfectly for me. I was wondering if you were using the same combo. More than one person using the same set of components with success is a good thing.

:cheers:

Edited by 01G8R

Hello: I use SVI 170mm tubes that are modified. I am using either Dawson +1 SNL or Grams 4mm base pads. I use these since they are easier to remove for cleaning. I am using the Bolen or Grams follower and the Bolen ISMI spring. How's that for ya :cheers: You will have to measure the tubes to make sure they fit the gauge with the base pads. You may have to try the different combos to get the 30 rounds in your tubes. As for the rest it is top secret :roflol: If you have time and can play with the mags a little you may be able to get 31 rounds but I am very happy with the 30 reloadable/reliable rounds. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

To get 30 in a gauge legal magazine you'll have to use Bolen springs and followers. A 4mm pad or +1SNL with some mods to the pad, the pad ramps, or both. They might work well with a new spring to start, but unless you taper out the heavy transition at the bottom of the mag rib it WILL eventually fail as the spring weakens. Of course at the worse possible time.

I'd rather have an easy 100% 29 in the tube than a 30 that might fail at some point. The only way to make them 100% with 30 in the tube takes a lot of patience, some tools, and a little bit of luck. Better have some cabbage in the wallet too just in case you damage one of those $100 tubes.