Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stiff Para P14 hammer

SHinck82

No it is not a problem to cock your Para before working the slide. Some people have a problem with riding the hammer down with the thumb to make it safe (unloaded) instead of just dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. This is usually w/guns w/2 1/4# trigger jobs! Most people won't do it loaded because the 1911 is at its best cocked n' locked and the chance of the hammer slipping are enough they might have an AD. I have been using Colt Gold Cup MS's in my 1911's since before most of the spring mfgs. came into being (Wolfe and etc).

FWIW

Richard

PS: Yes, I own 2 Paras...both full custom.

Edited by chirpy

Does anyone know what I need to do to make it so that my P14 doesn't have such a stiff hammer? Right now it's a pain in the ass to pull the slide back with the hammer decocked

I run a 17lb main spring with everything and an extended firing pin to help with light primer hits

but I bet your disconnector in that para is very high or it has a sharp edge on it

I have never reshaped one, but Im sure someone here can tell you how to round one off a little

also

Briley and Dawson probably do a good job of cutting an angle on the face of the hammer (the part that hits the firing ping) where the slide makes contact with the hammer face as the slide pushes it rearward

My STI trojan has a hammer like this and I think it helps with this

Para does not have a custom shop like S&W or Springfield Armory.

I run 17lb ISMI mainsprings in both my P-16s I have no problem setting off Win small rifle primers (I did have problems with a 15lb mainspring).

Go to Brownells web site they have almost everything you could want for a 1911.

Briley and Dawson probably do a good job of cutting an angle on the face of the hammer (the part that hits the firing ping) where the slide makes contact with the hammer face as the slide pushes it rearward

My STI trojan has a hammer like this and I think it helps with this

You can just shape the firing pin stop to accomplish the same goal....probably easier and you're cutting on the cheaper part :-)