Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124g vs. 147g/ fmj vs. hp/ 9mm

Field

What differences are there in terms of feel and performance when fired out of your standard glock/XD/M&P type of gun?

i was looking at 147g 9mm on montana gold and was there a reason that 147g costs 20% more per 1000 box over the 124g or 115g

and at ranges of 30 yards or less like in most ipsc and idpa are you going to notice any kind of difference between shooting hollow point instead of fmj? thanks

btw, firing them out of a an XDm with a 4.5in barrel if that makes any difference.

Edited by Field

The cost difference is because they weigh more, therefore there is more raw material in the 147s. More raw material, more bucks.

The difference in feel is usually pretty intense. The 147s (at about a 125-130 Power Factor) feel pretty sluggish. You can feel the slide come back and stop, then go forward. With the 124/125s, the gun is a bit more "snappy" and feels like it cycles faster.

A lot of people shoot the Hollow Points because there is no exposed lead at the base of the bullet, like there is with a FMJ design. Therefore, no lead gets burned off the back of the bullet during firing and there is no smoke. This is pretty critical for an Open gun, but can affect a Limited or Production gun also, especially outdoors when you're shooting into the sun. That little bit of smoke will obscure your view on a sunny day.

And MG CMJ's are completely encased so there is no lead exposed. Some shooters use hollow points because of better accuracy potential as well.

Also the typical run of the mill difference for most shooters is softer feel out of heavier bullet. The difference is very significant in my opinion between a 147 and 124 in the nine. Also for what it is worth my M&P shoots much tighter groups with 147's than it does with 124's.

Good luck.

. Some shooters use hollow points because of better accuracy potential as well.

huh? what are you talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet

Read the Accuracy section.

This is true for long range shooting, but for a handgun :rolleyes:

Like he said, read about it. Most top shooters shoot HP's. I don't though.

. Some shooters use hollow points because of better accuracy potential as well.

huh? what are you talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet

Read the Accuracy section.

This is true for long range shooting, but for a handgun :rolleyes:

Why would the increased stability and accuracy apply to rifle bullets and not handgun bullets?

At <=25yds, it may or may not be noticeable.

Lots of guys like Montana Golds. They are cheap. I have found they are less accurate and less consistent out of my M&P Pro. I switched to Bear Creek Moly 147s.

147s shoot softer than 124s for sure. They are slower, but produce less muzzle rise. The Bear Creeks over Solo 1000, produce 1" groups for me at 10 yards, at under 900 fps... Good accuracy for a "mouse-fart"

Jeff

for a given powder charge the 147's are going to feel softer giving the recoil perception as a 'push' not the 'snap' of the 124's also to correct the sluggish slide, you need to re-spring the gun the 147 load i developed for the glock barely hadthe brass rolling out over my wristand ending up at my feet, re-sprung down to a 13 lb spring, cycles flawlessly...

+1 to all the comments on hp's vs. fmj's...i run hp's in my open gun because i dont like cleaning comps period...as for accuracy, the whole hp debate is better left forthe long range rifle guys than pistol