Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Gun Laws on Cruise to Alaska

Ok, my wife and I are planning an Alaskan cruise departing from Seattle WA, and we are cruising non-stop to Alaska and I would like to have my carry gun with us when we are in Alaska. Has anyone carried or had a gun with you on a cruise? Is it even an option? I figured that if you can have one on a plane that you should be able to have one on a ship. I know that I can Google it but I want to hear from fellow shooters about the hassle factor. Thanks

I don't see it happening. Heck they balked about letting me on with a lock blade knife that was under four inches opened I don't imagine them letting a gun on board. Your best bet is to contact the cruise line directly and get the official answer from them. I had thought about it myself, was going on a cruise in Europe a week after the European Extreme Open but didn't think it was a good idea to try and get a firearm of any kind on a ship.

Joe W.

The one cruise I was one, they ran everything through a metal detector, and treated things much like carry on to an airplane. Good luck convincing them you need to bring a piece along with you :(

I understand that if it is an international cruise it would be a no no, but this is a U.S. cruise, I will check with the cruise line, I just wanted to hear it from some of you guys.

I was thinking that you could check in a gun like on an airplane.

Edited by danscrapbags

Directly from Carnival Cruise Line Website:

Weapons, firearms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary devices or other dangerous goods are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. Please see section 4(f) of ticket contract for further details.

Section 4(f) reads:

Weapons, firearms, ammunitions, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous goods are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container carried or presented by him as baggage. Carnival may deny boarding to any Guest traveling with any weapons, firearms, ammunitions, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous goods and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival will confiscate and turn over to the appropriate governmental authorities any of the above articles found on the Guest or his baggage. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

I bet you'd find this policy is standard amongst all of them. Leave it at home.

Edited by Precision40

I was thinking that you could check in a gun like on an airplane.

All your bags end up in your room - there's not really an equivalent to an airplanes cargo hold for passenger baggage, so.... As far as they're concerned, you could be running around with a gun all over their ship, etc... ;)

How long will you be in Alaska? Just stepping off for the day? or are you planning on being there an extended time and then returning on a different cruise?

If an extended time, ship your gun ahead. If just stepping out for the day, skip it, say with the cruise and enjoy.

Jim

If an extended time, ship your gun ahead. If just stepping out for the day, skip it, say with the cruise and enjoy.

Jim

I'm going to just bite the bullet and not worry about it, sit back and enjoy the scenery. I wouldn't taste that good anyways! :roflol:

Judging from the crowds on the ships my wife and I have sailed on they make over 51% of their money at the bar...... :devil:

Sounds like you might cruise a bit there? I do about two or three a year, we might have to see about getting a BE cruise together or something. It would be cool to get to hang out with some of the members here even if we can't shoot. Might be a good chance to share shooting tips and such. I wonder how many would be interested. Or maybe do a short three or four night cruise and work a small match at one of the clubs near the ports in FL? :goof:

Joe W.

It's probably a foreign ship and if carrying firearms when entereing a US port the US authorities would make them put all firearms into a bonded locked storage. It can be done but is complicated and not likely to happen. Plus I think most of those cruises transit Canada so would be subject to Canadian regulations while in Canadian ports.

World wide, merchant ships are almost alway unarmed due to very difficult regulations. Us allowing storage while in port is more lenient than most.

Boats