Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Plains Shotgun Challenge 2010

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Trapr, what are the two points used to measure a SG barrel - from the front or rear of the chamber? Reason for asking is because I may interested in jumping over into the modified division so that it can be recognized.

And could you tell me again how many rounds are allowed in each division?

Edited by Sterling White

Kurt and I will base the barrel length decision on whether or not your friendship dues are up to date :roflol:

There will be NO overall length restrictions or barrel length restrictions, capacity restrictions are Standard and Standard Manual division, max 9 at the start, unless specified otherwise in the course description, SG do not need to be plugged. Open has no restrictions unless specified in the course description. That said, if we have people interested in shooting in the Modified division we will adhere to the IPSC rules for equipment.

Nordic Component gets 3 free slots and Tim will notify me who deserves them!!!!!!!!!

Sterling the 2 points used to measure a SG barrel are the end of the measuring tape and the last readable number before it disappears into the tape dispenser!!!!! :roflol: for modified division measuring I'll get with a IPSC RM and get back to you.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

My IPSC RM contact has explained to me the OAL of the SG is the critical part for Modified, the barrel length has no requirement. But the gun must fit into a BOX!!!!! I will look into building or purchasing a box. The requirements are in the IPSC rules, I would suggest that if you decide to shoot Modified division you be familiar with them, I know I will.

trapr

For modified division the box measures 1320 mm which converts to 51.9685 inches. Trapr, I will be in modified and Sterling makes two... :cheers:

BTW, the legal accepted way to measure OAL of a SG barrel is to drop a dowel down the barrel with the action closed, mark it at the muzzle and measure that distance. Joe

Joe as it was explained to me it also takes into consideration overall fit into the box not just length. As for measuring barrel length,.......that was what I figured but was going to string Sterling along with trivial worthless ramblings????????????????????????? or maybe mark a fake dowel in centimeters just to screw with him!!!!!!!!! :roflol:

Get one more Modified entry and you guys are good to go.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

For modified division the box measures 1320 mm which converts to 51.9685 inches. Trapr, I will be in modified and Sterling makes two... :cheers:

BTW, the legal accepted way to measure OAL of a SG barrel is to drop a dowel down the barrel with the action closed, mark it at the muzzle and measure that distance. Joe

Not to question your statement but rather for my own knowledge, is there an ATF regulation that states how a shotgun barrel is to be measured?

Not to question your statement but rather for my own knowledge, is there an ATF regulation that states how a shotgun barrel is to be measured?

Yep.....the way he described. Same thing with an AR barrel.

The ATF will use a tape for a rough measurement. If its questionable.....then they drop the rod.

Modified division will strictly follow the IPSC rules, the other divisions will use current HPSC equipment rules.

Kurt and I have slightly altered the original IPSC equipment rules, to allow Box Fed SG in Standard division, and I believe there are other slight differences as well. Anyone interested in shooting the Modiified division please be sure and understand all the rules regarding equipment if you have questions ask and I'll get the answers from an IPSC official.

Modified division needs 2 more people signed up to shoot, in order for the division to be recognized.

trapr

Trapr - I'm not sure that I understand the mod rules. From what I can gather it seems that the Mod SG is an iron sighted open SG that can fit in the 55" box.

Also not sure that I understand your last post. Does it mean that saiga sg's will be allowed in Standard?

I have the cert from RM3G for the match. Would you like for me to send it asap?

Yes, to the Box Mag SG allowed in Standard division provided they meet all the HPSC Standard division requirements.

and Yes, I still need you to fill out an app and send it in , NO it does not need to be ASAP. i just did not remember seeing your name in the list of entrants already signed up.

Basically the rules are what you noted except add, NO speed loading devices as well.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

• 2 weeks later...
be prepared for a multitude of different start positions.

Trapr

With you and Kurt together, I can see the starting positions.

"While stumbling out of the pub, shotgun loaded and used as a cane, engage the target in the middle, or not"

Looking forward to this one Trapr. I am actually going to shoot it this year.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody please read the IPSC shotgun rules and be familiar with them as well as the minor changes that we will be allowing, they can be found on the website. In particular, note the buckshot requirements, and empty chamber loading requirements, these are issues that we here in the US do not generally use or consider, however they could lead to aggravation and penalties if not followed.

thanks, Trapr

trapr,

I read those sections but fear I must be missing something important. I never had that "Aha, so that is what he means...". I never was a detective...Can you elaborate on what part of those rules might cause confusion?

I did notice that it appears to be ill-eagle to change screw in chokes during a match under IPSC rules. Interesting.

Thanks,

joe

primarily the difference in the start requirements for loaded tubes, because your tube does not need to be plugged you can only start with max. 9 rounds in the gun for a loaded chamber start, does not equate to 9 rounds in the tube for an unloaded chamber start. do not get hung up on the max capacity at the start, and forget that it needs to be relative to whether it is a loaded chamber start or an unloaed chamber start. Also do not try and use #4 buck for paper targets with a 12ga. or a magnum loading with 12 pellets of 00 buck, make sure you know what you are putting into your gun or you will be placed into another division or worse!!!!!!!! i have tried to get this verbage into all the RO range briefs but you know how we are when RO's are reading the walk thru, we're chatting and not paying attention. Although it would be better to learn this lesson at the HPSC than to learn it at the P.A.

As for changing choke tubes???? could you tell me where you read that, because I do not recall it, and i was reading the rules again last night.

Trapr