Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Floating Die Tool Head?

RaymondMillbrae

No, but considering the source, I would use it without hesitation. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Ditto - John is about as good as they come.

I had not seen this product, but am now considering it.

Mark K.

I think it is interesting that we now have an aftermarket solution for Dillon presses that allow the dies to move and one to keep them from moving. They both claim to improve Bullet Concentricity. :rolleyes:

just an observation,

Chuck

PS: <SlightDrift> How many precision rifle shooters load on a progressive press? </SlightDrift>

David Tubb loads on a progressive and in one of his books he describes how he modifies his Dillon toolhead and die lock rings so that the dies are not not screwed down tight so they can "float" while not unscrewing. Sounds like a different product to achieve the same thing.

I have one and have loaded on it and have not had any issues with it. Accuracy is as good as on my single stage press but faster...;-) The only thing to watch out for is using the right powder so that you can meter well in a progressive press. I have seen some will weigh and drop each charge individually but that's a lot more work that I am willing to put up for...

This is something that might work for me. I load .40 with a Lee sizing die as they size further down the case than the Dillon dies. I get a much better percentage to pass the case gage. The down side is the Lee dies require much more accurate alignment of the case to die so about every 10th case I have to reach around to align the case with the die. From the picture the floating stations are in the sizing and bullet seating stations but you can't tell much about the design. Would this help with case alignment with the sizing die?

This is something that might work for me. I load .40 with a Lee sizing die as they size further down the case than the Dillon dies. I get a much better percentage to pass the case gage. The down side is the Lee dies require much more accurate alignment of the case to die so about every 10th case I have to reach around to align the case with the die. From the picture the floating stations are in the sizing and bullet seating stations but you can't tell much about the design. Would this help with case alignment with the sizing die?

That is the exact reason that I decided to give it a try. I load lots of .40 and us a U-Die. I have to bump about 1 in 5. Usually the same position on the shell plate. I am not so worried about the 38SC or the 9mm. Just don't load enough of it to spend that kind of money for all my tool heads.

Mark

PS: <SlightDrift> How many precision rifle shooters load on a progressive press? </SlightDrift>

Somewhere I think that John says something on his website about using a progressive for the shorter ranges for high power shooting.

Mark

I solved the problem with 9mm and Lee sizing dies by loading 9's with the 40 shellplate. Can't explain exactly why it works but it does for me.

I have an EGW U die for 40 but as long as the standard Lee die works I see no need to use it.

I solved the problem with 9mm and Lee sizing dies by loading 9's with the 40 shellplate. Can't explain exactly why it works but it does for me.

I have an EGW U die for 40 but as long as the standard Lee die works I see no need to use it.

Hmm, I have to load some 9mm tonight, I will give that a go. TKS

Mark

Hmm, I have to load some 9mm tonight, I will give that a go. TKS

Mark

This worked great. Maybe should add to the Dillon 650 tips and tricks.

Mark K

I just spoke to Mark Whidden... heck of a nice guy.

He said the floating lock rings allow the sizing and seating dies to center themselves for concentricity (but they don't move up/down so they don't affect OAL). He uses this system in conjunction with his machined toolhead and manual powder funnel (so that each charge is weighed separately) along with the uniquetek toolhead clamps on his 650 - which he loads on exclusively. His loads from this system have won him Nat'l 1000yd Championships, and an 11th place in the World 1000yd Championships.

I doubt they'll be much, if any appreciable advantage to pistol rounds for our game, but I love the idea of leveraging my 550 to load top quality rifle ammo too. Since his whole system is only $80 (cheaper than getting all the single stage press equipment), I took the plunge and ordered one.

Incidentally, he only has one powder funnel left, and he plans to discontinue offering them (apparently it's very labor-intensive to machine it to match up perfectly with the powder drop die), so if you're interested, you may want to grab it quick!

Edited by Xfactor

I just spoke to Mark Whidden... heck of a nice guy.

He said the floating lock rings allow the sizing and seating dies to center themselves for concentricity (but they don't move up/down so they don't affect OAL). He uses this system in conjunction with his machined toolhead and manual powder funnel (so that each charge is weighed separately) along with the uniquetek toolhead clamps on his 650 - which he loads on exclusively. His loads from this system have won him Nat'l 1000yd Championships, and an 11th place in the World 1000yd Championships.

I doubt they'll be much, if any appreciable advantage to pistol rounds for our game, but I love the idea of leveraging my 550 to load top quality rifle ammo too. Since his whole system is only $80 (cheaper than getting all the single stage press equipment), I took the plunge and ordered one.

Incidentally, he only has one powder funnel left, and he plans to discontinue offering them (apparently it's very labor-intensive to machine it to match up perfectly with the powder drop die), so if you're interested, you may want to grab it quick!

Your right, John is a really nice guy, and if you are into NRA highpower rifle, he is really well know for long distance shooting. I meet him at KGunz11 place last month.

I ordered the floating tool head just to eliminate the frustration of cases sometimes not going up into the U-Die for sizing, w/o a touch of the finger. Slows things down.

Mark K.

I took the plunge and ordered the floating toolhead and lock rings for the XL650.

Kinda surprised that it cost me $12.00 to ship it. (Oh well...I hope it's priority mail).

Looking forward to the new set-up for my .223.

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

Does the kit come with one of his machined toolheads or a standard Dillon?

I have a Giraud trimmer which I use for 223. I noticed that the chamfer it leaves isn't concentric all the way around. I wonder if this floating system will fix that.

It is his own, proprietary, toolhead.

Or you can choose one of his kits which includes two lock rings.

And by the way, I just received an email stating that he is refunding me back a few dollars for the shipping.

So in the end, the shipping only cost me $6.55.

Cool.

Don't know why, but the little refund makes me feel better about the whole thing. (Kinda ghetto, huh)? :rolleyes:

In Christ: Raymond

I ordered the floating tool head just to eliminate the frustration of cases sometimes not going up into the U-Die for sizing, w/o a touch of the finger. Slows things down.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that benefit as well...

And by the way, I just received an email stating that he is refunding me back a few dollars for the shipping.

So in the end, the shipping only cost me $6.55.

Nice... maybe I'll get the same!

Did you snag the last powder funnel?

Edited by Xfactor

I think, considering I've been in the shop these are made in, they are of the highest quality. I also think, considering I've seen John load his Camp Perry ammo on a Dillon 650 now for a few years, he has COMPLETE faith in the system. This same ammo has taken him to 1st place twice and second place 3 times now at the most difficult long range match in the country. He's only been 5 times. ;) He's also won 8 long range State Championships and set world records at the Palma try outs with ammo loaded with this tool head. You'll be hard pressed to find a better guy to do business with. I don't pimp his stuff because we sell it, or because he is a dear friend, I do it because it is a great addition to the Dillon line of reloading and the results speak volumes.

• 1 year later...

I guess I am too dense to figure this out for myself, but how could a die that is screwed into the toolhead "float". I can see the roll pin that is inserted into the toolhead, and the relived cut on the locking ring, but for the life of me I can not get my brain around how the die itself could move around, unless the toolhead threads are cut larger than the actual diameter of the die body, and allow it to "scoot" one way or the other under pressure from the case coming up when the shellplate is raised.