Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading .223 on a 1050 w/o toolhead change...

I'd like to setup a 1050 to reload military once fired brass .223 without having a second tool head.

Here's my idea for doing this, let me know if I am overlooking anything:

Press 1 = Dillon trimmer mounted on single stage press, which will basic resize/trim/and vaccuum off the brass shavings. Do not tumble, leave lube on cases.

Press 2 = 1050 with the following setup in each station:

1-casefeed

2-neck resize / decapping

3-swage

4-prime

5-powder

6-KISS bullet feeder

7-bullet seat (will be using boat tailed bullets only)

8-taper crimp

Do you see any problems with this setup? I really don't want to switch 1050 tool heads out. Using the single stage press to size/trim seems like a simple fix.

Edited by boomfab

The Dillon 1200b trimmer sizes before trimming.

I don't think so. Quote from Dillon site...

"The RT 1200B is used just like a standard size die. The big difference is that while you are pushing the case into the die to size it, a 1/4 horsepower electric motor driving a carbide cutter is trimming the case to length."

So it trims while sizing - can't trim beforehand unless you're just taking a guess as to the average case growth.

/Bryan

Hello: You have to resize first then trim. What I do is is install the Dillon sizer,swager and nothing else in the toolhead. I then size all with the Possum Hollow tool. I then install another toolhead with a Dillon universal deprime die, no swager, powder die, Redding bullet seater and a Dillon crimp. I know you don't want to do it this way but it really works well. Thanks, Eric

I just called Dillon tech support about this.

The 1200b trimmer does full length resize and trim to length like I thought. The tech I talked to owns one and uses it regularly on 5.56 military brass.

So if I feed the brass through the Dillon 1200b and set the trim length to 1.745-1.75 everything should spit out ready to roll? Am I missing anything?

The tech also said to do away with the neck sizing die in station 1 on the 1050 and just use a universal decapping die.

Edited by boomfab

I just called Dillon tech support about this.

The 1200b trimmer does full length resize and trim to length like I thought. The tech I talked to owns one and uses it regularly on 5.56 military brass.

So if I feed the brass through the Dillon 1200b and set the trim length to 1.745-1.75 everything should spit out ready to roll? Am I missing anything?

The tech also said to do away with the neck sizing die in station 1 on the 1050 and just use a universal decapping die.

The RT1200 won't open up the case mouth, so the bullets will be sizing the mouth and neck area. If you are using boat tail bullets, that's not a problem.

When I used to load .223, I approached it differently, and used a seperate tool head.

I processed the cases in the first pass, then tumbled the lube off. For loading I used a Lee collet die to clear the flashholes and open the mouth of the case.

Your method will work fine however. Only possible fly in the ointment is if your brass isn't sized enough in the RT1200. I used the Dillon small base carbide dies and trimmed after sizing.

This is a trick question right? You have 2 presses, which means 2 toolheads :roflol: !

Reading is fundamental...

Press 1 = Dillon trimmer mounted on single stage press, which will basic resize/trim/and vaccuum off the brass shavings. Do not tumble, leave lube on cases.
Edited by Mr. Chitlin

It boils down to time and convenience. It depends on how much brass you have to process, and how valuable your time is. When I process brass, it is usually at least a 5 gallon bucket or more....usually more.

For me, taking the time to set up the 1050 with the trimmer on it and feed the brass through the casefeeder and swage the primer pocket is definitely worth it since this part of the processing sucks....(wearing earmuffs and having vaccum attached to the trimmer for the chunks). I now have a gracey trimmer so I wont have to do that anymore, but you see where I was going... :roflol:

Having said that, If you have a couple hundred cases, a single stage will be fine and you can have that done in an evening. Only you can decide what your time is worth.

Good luck,

DougC

the de-swaging rod in the tool head (the thing that holds the case down for the deswaging pin to do its thing in the primer pocket) bells the case mouth for the bullet...

I also would recommend a body die/decapper in station #1, just bump the shoulder with it to insure ease of chambering in an auto loader (ala AR15).

Also, use the Dillon case guage for both trimming and after loading.

I think your idea is basically ok, but I would not do it for the amount of 223 I load. I am with Doug, prep a bucket or two in the winter with ear muffs (and an Ipod) with a complete prep head, tumble it, and put it aside for loading as you need it.

jj