Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inconsistency

p7fl

I am a solid B shooter and have been so for a decade +.

I am well trained, have attended many classes by name instructors and have solid technical skills.

Yet, when I show up at an USPSA match I never know if the A or Hi B or low C/D shooter is going to show up.

Of course it is mental, but I am getting tired of it.

:unsure:

jon

I am a solid B shooter and have been so for a decade +.

I am well trained, have attended many classes by name instructors and have solid technical skills.

Yet, when I show up at an USPSA match I never know if the A or Hi B or low C/D shooter is going to show up.

Of course it is mental, but I am getting tired of it.

:unsure:

jon

A lot of it is being nervous and putting pressure on yourself. Try going into a match more relaxed and not pressuring yourself with a complicated game plan. Try and have more fun and let go of the importance of doing great. After a few times you will notice a difference.

Take it easy, LarryP

I am in the same boat. For me the key has been mental preparation, concentration, positive self thought and most of all FOCUS. I used to just shoot for fun and what happened, happened. Now I focus much more on my plan. I visualize what I'm going to do. I challenge myself and when I don't succeed, I chalk it up to learning my limits right now. Never take your misses too hard, and enjoy your success when you really get dialed in. I had an excellent match the other day - no misses, no penalties, and several of the new 'advanced' techniques I've been learning really paid off when I took the chance to use them. I had a few misses on steel, but I forgot about that when I went to the next stage and left it all behind.

Read on this forum quite a bit about the mental part of shooting. I think you will find that your skill set is solid, but you have been approaching the game all wrong in your head.

A

Whenever you have problems with consistency, you need to keep it simple and go back to the fundamentals.

Find the target.

Superimpose the sights over the target.

Keep the sights on the target till the bullet leaves the barrel.

Repeat as needed.

Did you mean? Rather than shooting proactively through your subconscious, you become tentative, conscious and reactive. Your fear of missing drives your performance and your results are marred by procedural errors, poor trigger control and a sense of being rushed. AKA Performance Anxiety.

Ok wish I was that brilliant, this is an exerpt from an Article on Gray guns. http://grayguns.com/competitive-mindset-an...tive-decisions/

I'm working on my PA (performace anxiety) problem just like a thousand other shooters.

You are shooting with to much emphasis on results. Go to the match and just shoot your game. The results will be what they are learn from the results on what you need to work on in your shooting. Another way to say it is stop "Trying" just shoot the !@#$ing targets!