Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about trying IDPA.

dand38s

I have been thinking about giving IDPA a try. My daily concealed carry handgun is a Taurus PT-145. I was trying to find a approved handgun list to see if this was a legal gun for competition.

How many magazines should I have before I try to shoot a match? I believe that I read in the rules where you can only have two magazines on the belt, how many do you have in your pockets?

What catagory would the PT-145 be allowed to compete in?

I tried the search feature on this forum but I could not find many answers.

I have been thinking about giving IDPA a try. My daily concealed carry handgun is a Taurus PT-145. I was trying to find a approved handgun list to see if this was a legal gun for competition.

How many magazines should I have before I try to shoot a match? I believe that I read in the rules where you can only have two magazines on the belt, how many do you have in your pockets?

I don't think there is an approved list it just has to fit the requirements set by the division you want to shoot. You can only have 2 mags on your belt and one in the gun. I'm not a IDPA MD but I think that is all your allowed other than revo. I have no idea on the PT-145, read the division descriptions in the rules and see where it fits there.

If the gun fits in the box and makes weight with an empty mag in the gun, you are good to go. You can wear 2 mags plus the one in the gun. A Barney mag and some extras in your range bag are always a good idea. Sorry, I am not familiar with the PT-145. If it is a single action .45 it will go in CDP. If single action less than .45 it goes in ESP. If DA it goes in SSP. Enjoy!

Your pistol as I understand it, is a DAO 45 acp. Based on the published weight (23 ounces) etc, you will find it is legal in CDP, SSP and ESP.

Shoot it as your match gun until it holds you back.

As to the different divisions with that gun, it is how full you fill your mags.

CDP is designed around the single stack 1911. Fill them to 8+1.

SSP and ESP are designed around various other pistols. Fill them to 10+1.

You got some good advice on quantity of mags.

You want at least four mags: one to go in the gun, two on the belt, and a Barney mag to load the chamber. Per a rules clarification on these very forums, straight from Robert Ray at IDPA HQ, you may have as many other spare mags in your pockets as you desire. (You're just not allowed to use them during the course of fire, natch, only the mag in the gun and two spares on the belt.)

Thanks for all of the responses. Maybe I am just taking some of them the wrong way, but are IDPA matches held on a "hot" range? There are multiple answers stating that you have two mags on your belt and the one in the gun. Do you have the third mag in your pocket until it is time to shoot or do you really have it in your gun while you are walking around?