Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165gr In .45 Acp

5pins

I’m thinking of buying some .45 165gr JHP bullets from Lock Stock and Barrel. The bullets were made by Hornady for Triton. I used some of there 185gr bullets but there out of them. Has anyone used 165gr bullets in the .45 ACP? I can’t find any data for bullets that light. I could use 185gr data with a max load as a starting point.

With all due respect, they could give them away and I would not shoot them. I pay 36 per K for my bullets. You have to drive them at 1000 fps to make major and with that velocity unless you gas check them you get leading problems. I don't worry about that kind of thing with a 200 at 850. for me it is better all around to stay with 200's, but that is what makes the world go around. If you like 'em, shoot 'em...

5 pins where are you getting these bullets? (I am very interested in trying some)

As far as shooting light bullets in the 45, my Second Chance pin load was with 160gr swc lead, I was pushing them pretty hard 195 pf around 1225 to 1250 fps with a very fast powder (would not really recommend it to any body else) but I shot it for years at pins with no leading problems in schuman bbls. In the comped guns they worked great (LOUD) but great. took the pins rite off, as for loads all I can say is start low, watch the pressure signs, and I seem to recall that the lighter bullets in 45 were sensitive to oal and the crimp, be careful and don't blow yourself up.

5pins,

You are on the right track with your start load for 185 gr. bullets.

As you probably know , pressure signs are kind of subtle in 45 acp., so watch carefully.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. JHP I assume. Might have to get some to play with.

Travis F.

Leave the light weights alone. They are good for HD as tl suggests. I have done a little experimenting with them and unless you are prepared for more muzzle blast than a 357Magnum then you will be unpleasantly surprised when they get on out at the 1000fps you need to make powerfactor.

Try slow burning powders if you must try them, as they will be a little more forgiving, but not by much. I found HS6, Win540, V V N340, N350, HS7, and Blue Dot to work better than the quick burners. Stay well away from Clays, 231, N320, HP38 & Red Dot. Pressures got real silly real quick.

I best success (if you can call it that) was when I tried HS6 about 9.7 grains - 10.0gr. Velocity was close to 1060fps and this was just over the 174pf mark. Accuracy in a good Para P14 was poor (as I recall about 6" at 25y), this pistol normally shot 185gr Zero's into 3" at 25y with consumate ease, and at well over 180pf if I wished, but was nicer to shoot at bang on 945fps (4.8gr Clays).

Call Zero, or anybody else that sells good 185gr and go with them.

• 5 years later...

Thread back from the dead. :)

I have a few hundred 165g JHP from Montana Gold that I am wanting to shoot and get rid of.

I have TiteGroup (I think I have some Vectan/Nobel Ba-10 and AO, as well). I've found data for 155g an 185g (on the Hodgdon website)...nothing for 165g.

Any thoughts?

Flex.

I like TG a lot for what you are doing.

Split the start load from Hodgdon and you will be fine. That is what I did back when I tried them out in the late 90's. A freind swears by the 155gr in his old (and I mean OLD) 45 open gun. He used Universal. Work up to the max load for the 185grainers pretty quickly and then move on only if the pressure signs are good.

I have used 162 gr. lead with good results in both a comped and standard 1911 in.45 for over 10 years! Yes, you do have to drive it fast but that is easily done with WW Super Target. With the jacketed bullets I would start at 5.5 grains and crono up to major if you want major velocity. For OAL, that depends on your gun and how it likes the OAL. I usually set the seating die by using a loaded round using a 200 gr. lead SWC that feeds well. Usually this works in my guns. The 165 gr. will make a great minor/plinking load and it is also great to get a newer shooter into the .45! 5 gr. should function any .45 (1911).

Good luck,

Richard

Yup, I use 165 gr. .45's Federal loads for my CDP 3" Kimber carry. That load rattles my teeth every time I shoot the gun. I am moving up to a 4" Wilson with hopes of saving my teeth.

The 165 gr 45's at 1,000 fps are violent out of a 3" gun.

Back in the days where there were no hi-caps and dots, we 'stumbled' across an idea of pushing a really lightweight bullet in a comped .45, the bullet in question was a 155 gr LSW, that looked like a normal H&G 68 that went on a diet, We thought it was pretty cool, the less muzzle flip, but were using gobs of WST, and yes the blast was horrendous, but it ran the comps, but on the back end, it literally shook loose a springfield trophy master expert that I was using at the time, and quickly discontinued its use, and went to get my slide re-tightened

Flex.

I like TG a lot for what you are doing.

Split the start load from Hodgdon and you will be fine. That is what I did back when I tried them out in the late 90's.

I think that is what I will do. And, TG is the likely powder...especially since they have data to draw from with bullets that are lighter and heavier. I've loaded jugs and jugs of TG (as almost my only powder) and I am familiar with it.

I've got just enough of these bullets (235 count) to get through a local match or two. I don't want to test them too much...as, if I like them, I don't think they are offered anymore.

There are a few folks that run their 40 cal. Limited guns with 165g bullets...so I don't see the weight as a big issue. I don't prefer them (I run 180g in 40), but a 165g bullet doing 1000+ fps ought to be OK.

I am wondering why folks say to "run them hot"? Is that for accuracy?

I was thinking I might load them below major and shoot them at a Steel Challenge match (where minor is fine...and I don't need a mousefart 120pf load to let me hit a piece of steel and move on :) ).

I just don't have enough of them to make working them up too much worth the hassle. (and, likely couldn't get more of them anyway)

Thanks for the input, guys. And, please keep the discuss going...beyond my little issue. :)