Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Couple more stages

spanky

I'm going to rework the stages I posted in the other thread but here are a couple more to critique.

As with before, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

First one starts in box A w/ gun on table. Shoot 'em as you see 'em.

http://upload.spankdu.com/images/u9gvji2r0h4s9p3z0mr.jpg

Second one starts in either box A or box C, must shoot arrays from their respective boxes. Box B is 5 yards from it's array, A and C are 7 yards.

http://upload.spankdu.com/images/a09l711sukimjd9ooi78.jpg

ETA: Revisions are below

Edited by spankaveli

On the first stage I would like to see competitors going to the table from behind the 180.

On the second stage you're gonna have a lot of DQ's from people engaging poppers at 21 feet. 23 feet is the minimum.

I like the challenging shots.

On the first stage I would like to see competitors going to the table from behind the 180.

On the second stage you're gonna have a lot of DQ's from people engaging poppers at 21 feet. 23 feet is the minimum.

Good point. I didn't think abt the 23ft. I'll have to move them back. I may take out the boxes and add some angles, Maybe a wall and some more hard cover or no shoots.

Actually in this case the minimum distance on the steel is 26 feet. A box is just "four fault lines arranged

in a square".

2.1.3 Minimum Distances – Whenever metal targets or metal hard cover are

used in a course of fire, precautions must be taken so that competitors

and Match Officials maintain a minimum distance of 23 feet from them

while they are being shot. Where possible, this should be done with

physical barriers. If Fault Lines are used to limit the approach to metal

targets, they must be placed at least 26 feet from the targets so that the

competitor may inadvertently fault the line and still be outside the 23

feet minimum distance (see Rule 10.5.17). Care should also be taken in

respect of metal props in the line of fire.

Edited by open17

In the stage with all the walls: Where is the gun? Anywhere on the table, trigger guard over X? What's it's condition? I'm not crazy about having the table on the 180; consider moving the table to the wall to the left of the door --- you'll be less likely to tempt the inexperienced into breaking the 180 as they retrieve their gun....

Same Stage: Is the dropturner disappearing? How are you hiding the swinger prior to activation? Or are you taking the Level 1 exemption for movers? Consider having it activate off the door. Also consider having the drop turner visible through the port from the door, and having it activate off the swinger --- that could create an interesting challenge. Or leave it alone -- the way you planned it....

The Barrel Stage:

Are the barrels hard or soft cover? If hard, they should be pristine, or someone's gonna have to tape a whole bunch of holes in the barrels during set-up. You've got a lot of low paper --- so you'll need to bury the paper into the berm, to avoid skipping rounds off the range floor over the berm. That may affect whether you get enough distance to the steel (26 feet) or whether your paper winds up farther back than the drawing appear to indicate. You've also got potential shoot through issues up the wazoo --- look at the line you drew from the popper to one of the papers on the right. Now imagine someone making that shot from the left end of the box......

Barrels are hard cover.

Good point on the line. I think that's something that can be massaged at setup. The targets may just need to be spread out some more.

And trigger guard over x on the table. Muzzle is perpendicular to berm so shooters should be able to do what they need to not break the 180. I wad considering moving it up a but or just doing a holster start...

• 2 weeks later...

The stage with the walls looks pretty good as long as you have your distances on the steel worked out and no shoot throughs. The one thing that I would change is a safety issue: Get rid of the box inside the shooting area, it's a trip hazard. Just paint some marks on your fault lines for the starting position and specify what direction you want the shooter facing and either toes or heels on the marks.

The stage with the barrels looks pretty cool... if you used stacked barrels you'll find it a lot easier to set this stage up... and as previously mentioned you won't have shots skipping off the pit floor because of low set targets.

Again... The one thing that I would change is a safety issue: Get rid of the activator box that you have inside the shooting area, it's a BIG trip hazard. When placing an activator box inside a shooting area, place it at an end point or a place where you won't be running past or over it. :cheers:

Edited by LT45

When using foot activators the cables need to come off straight or you get binding of the rod. You could do this with a deadman or a pully and never ever use rope as it stretches badly, in fact for a 2-300 shooter match cable will probably need adjusting.