Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best method to release slide stop

Bill Schwab

I'm shooting a 1911 in IDPA.  My technique for releasing the slide after doing a slide lock reload sucks. frown.gif

As my weak hand is coming into the shooting grip I want to hit the slide stop to release the slide forward, but my weak hand is cammed so far forward that I can't do it...the root of my thumb is by the slide release once I'm in my shooting grip.  And I've tried hitting the slide stop earlier on AS I'm assuming my grip, but that doesn't seem to cut it either.  So what I do, which I know is very slow, is nail the slide stop with my weak hand thumb and then assume my shooting grip.  

This is two discrete actions and what I want is one beautiful harmonious action, but I am unable to do it.  

I have fairly small hands, but in this case I don't think that matters much.  I noticed in Rob's Shooter Ready video he says to hit the slide stop as you assume the grip and he even demonstrates it.huh.gif

Any advice?

Bill

Bill

I too struggled with this when I first started shooting IDPA. I struggled so much that I entertained getting an enlarged slide release put on the gun to fix the problem.

In time I realized that by necessity the slide lock load is simply slower. There is not getting around it. I know TGO makes it look easier - but his slide lock loads are slower because he has to do the exact same thing you do - drop the slide and re-establish a grip.

My advice is keep it smooth. Don't get tense thinking about what has to be done - and complete the load. I would be willing to bet you are doing just fine - it just seems slower compared to a regular load.

Just my $.02

JB

I shoot a match called Service Pistol, which is similar to PPC, but ALL speed reloads, and there are 5 in total, MUST be done from slide lock.  Al, J1b and Ron are doing it the best way we can find. I have been practicing the living hell out of my slide lock reload lately (big match this saturday) and am so sure of the weak hand knock off.

You just have to make a quite a few dummy rounds and go practice. LOTS.

Good Luck.