Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Buy or Build Limited Gun

STIGUY

Want to know thoughts on my dilema and some are self-imposed. I am thinking on buying or building a new Limited Gun and was wondering if I should go to like Brazos or Dawson and buy their next level STI (hard crome) etc. that both offer for about $2K or obtain parts and get a smith to build a gun. Will purchasing an STI shortblock (or long wide frame and all necessary parts) save any money? It really doesn't look like it, but I would like to save all the $$ I can so that the rest can be used to purchase a Dillon 650 etc..... With this much invested in "my hobby", I would like to shoot it as much as possible and until I obtain an ammo sponsor....lol.....I will definately need to reload.

Also, please do not mention a 6in. gun...etc. I like the look and feel (slightly weight forward feel) of full length dustcover. All those lightening slots and other of the 6" guns that I see threads about and pictures of will have to wait until I become a better shooter.

Thanks

A year ago I was in your shoes. At that time I heard of USPSA and thought it sounded like fun. I was all set to purchase an STI Edge, when by chance, I lost the website from where I was going to purchase the original gun. I did a quick search and Whalla.....I found Brazo's by accident.

To date it is simply the best stroke of luck I have had in this sport. Bob builds an incredible gun and his support is second to none. I have emailed, phoned, and emailed again, more stupid questions that you can imagine. I am always met with professionalism and knowledge, whether by Bob or his wife. Simply put, the man has forgotten more than I will ever know.

Sure, you may save a couple bucks (may) but the craftsmanship, support, and owning a gun that flat out runs is priceless.

My .02

Steve

If I were you I would just buy a used limited gun. That way you will spend less and it will probadly come with mags. Shoot that for a while and that will give you time to find out what you like in a gun. Then you can get a 6 inch built later on. :cheers:

I did the Frame kit route once. Not again. Second gun was a full blown custom for a great smith. Third gun was a full house custom from another great smith. The fourth one is in the works. Now, at different times I had some extra money so going full custom was easy.

Now, I would look for a Bedell, McLearn, Brazos. All great smith with reasonable prices.

There are a lot of standard STIs for a good price. Go to Dawson or Brazos.

A year ago I was in your shoes. At that time I heard of USPSA and thought it sounded like fun. I was all set to purchase an STI Edge, when by chance, I lost the website from where I was going to purchase the original gun. I did a quick search and Whalla.....I found Brazo's by accident.

To date it is simply the best stroke of luck I have had in this sport. Bob builds an incredible gun and his support is second to none. I have emailed, phoned, and emailed again, more stupid questions that you can imagine. I am always met with professionalism and knowledge, whether by Bob or his wife. Simply put, the man has forgotten more than I will ever know.

Sure, you may save a couple bucks (may) but the craftsmanship, support, and owning a gun that flat out runs is priceless.

My .02

Steve

what he said ^ ............I got mine in January and the only reason it does something wrong is because of me. Bobs Tuned edge is perfect ( if you get rid of the recoil master) :)

B

If I were you I would just buy a used limited gun. That way you will spend less and it will probadly come with mags. Shoot that for a while and that will give you time to find out what you like in a gun. Then you can get a 6 inch built later on. :cheers:

+1, Keep you eyes peeled here. A used 6" gun just sold on here for $1250 I think.

Search - " WTS - Brazos STI Edge .40 S&W, High Performance Edge w/Extra features."

This is exactly what I did 3 months ago and I have never wished differently for a second. The gun, the customer service, and the after purchase support have been remarkable. I would highly advise this route. :rolleyes:

Also, please do not mention a 6in. gun...etc. I like the look and feel (slightly weight forward feel) of full length dustcover. All those lightening slots and other of the 6" guns that I see threads about and pictures of will have to wait until I become a better shooter.

I'm not suggesting anything in particular, but keep in mind that you can get that same weight forward feel in pretty much any configuration if the smith knows what he's doing.

When I wanted a Limited gun I didn't feel like waiting months and months so I went with a Dawson Super Tuned Edge and it's been a very reliable setup for me. I did swap out the safeties for SV ambis, sold the Recoil Master, contoured and stipled my grip and did a trigger job (Extreme kit), but that's about it. If I were getting a new gun built tomorrow it would be quite different, but it certainly isn't a combination that limits how well I shoot. R,

You will never regret getting a custom made STI from one of the really good gunsmiths out there. BUT, just starting out you are better served finding a used gun in good condition to begin with, especially if money is a concern. I bought my first STI from Rocket35 and still have it. A used STI is still a damn good gun. Just watch the classified here.

I mite be bucking the system here, but out here on the left coast where we cant get full house customs sent to us, we have to go other routes, for me it was a bidding war for a long dust cover frame that was already in the state(dont ask the price, cuz we cant get em in any other way) then i collected all the parts that I personally liked and put it all in a shoebox and off to limcat custom it went...

for me, used guns I am really leery of , lest i know who owned it and how many rounds etc...could end up with one that the lil old lady only took out on sundays....or the opposite, pay premium price for a shot out gun???? up to you i guess....

Freedom Gunworks. Bobby can built you a limited gun with anything you want. Cost much less than a full custom build and has a lot more than just a stock or tuned gun. He does awesome work. He has a page here on Enos in the vender tents.

+1 on the used gun. I have seen many guns on here that were hardly used for good prices. Then like others said you can see what reall works for you and have one built later.

Good Luck

THANKS....for the Advice....did that...expect receipt tomorrow!

Edited by STIGUY