Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hammer back while holstered at make ready

sperman

Not too far of a drift but, what if the shooter walks up to the line with his/her hammer back (perhaps they have been dryfiring in the safety area) and it is not noticed by anyone until the MR command is given. By some individuals logic I guess that shooter is automatically DQ'd?

Does the mere presence of a hammer back, saafety off, trigger the DQ or is it the act of cocking it?

We already have a rule that covers a hammer back situation that does not lead to a DQ, why is this thread different?

Nice Gary! I had not considered that angle.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too far of a drift but, what if the shooter walks up to the line with his/her hammer back (perhaps they have been dryfiring in the safety area) and it is not noticed by anyone until the MR command is given. By some individuals logic I guess that shooter is automatically DQ'd?

Does the mere presence of a hammer back, saafety off, trigger the DQ or is it the act of cocking it?

We already have a rule that covers a hammer back situation that does not lead to a DQ, why is this thread different?

Nice Gary! I had not considered that angle.

Just doing my job :devil: Even if I did double tap the "a" in safety :surprise:

At the 2010 FL State match, the staff went so far as to write it into each stage description that thumbing the hammer back in the holster at the MR command would result in a DQ. It was the first time most of us ever heard of such a thing, and I'm sure some guys who frequently do it had to be on their toes
3.2.5 A written stage briefing must comply with the current USPSA rules

I'm assuming this was a USPSA match. I would think a level 2 match would know you can't use the WSB to make up rules.

+1 We can't just make stuff up.

Guys named Chris go first on the second Tues of the month. :)

Kidding aside, I don't want another rule for this, I just think it's a bad idea. My input on it with new shooters would be pull the firearm first.