Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EMG/NCVs

Neomet

I'm getting some moderate atrophy in my hands (diabetic for 40 years and doubtless a valid subject for another hate rant) so had to go in for EMG/NCVs today. Not to sound too much like a wuss but there were parts of this 2 hour procedure that were shall we say a wee bit uncomfortable? Needles into my hands, electric shocks into my armpits, enough already, I confess it was actually me that shot Lincoln!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Neomet

High protein, moderate complex carbs. diet Mountain Dew, C, E and multivitamin. I'm going to be picking up some fish oil since you said there are ones out there that don't give the burps. The results of the test were fairly ugly. The diagnosis was polyneuralgia secondary to longstanding diabetes. I only had decent amplitude and latencies in my right ulnar nerve. Nothing can be done about it other than keeping my blood sugars down to minimize the damage being done to the nerves. You just rarely, rarely have diabetes this long without this sort of crap, uh I mean microvascular nerve damage starting to happen to your body.

Have you ever considered keeping a food journal for a week to see exactly what you eat and in what quantities? Food should be viewed as a prescription drug. Good deal with the fish oil. Load up on that stuff.

One thing, even though there are no "sugars" in Diet Mountain Dew, the body reacts to the artificial sweeteners in the same way producing that nasty insulin release we need to avoid.

I sympathize! I just had a couple weeks ago. I always remember that scene from the "Right Stuff" where Scott Glenn gets his arm zapped for medical testing. Actually, the current ( :rolleyes: ) technique is much more mild that it was in the early 90's. Still no fun, though...

Best wishes,

Chuck

Have you ever considered keeping a food journal for a week to see exactly what you eat and in what quantities? Food should be viewed as a prescription drug. Good deal with the fish oil. Load up on that stuff.

One thing, even though there are no "sugars" in Diet Mountain Dew, the body reacts to the artificial sweeteners in the same way producing that nasty insulin release we need to avoid.

I used to do a food log up until about 10 years ago. I just carb count now and make sure my protein intake is good.

Well, the good news here I guess is that since I have a dead pancreas I actually don't have to worry about insulin release. The only insulin that hits my body is what I pump into it. LOL!

Neomet, I hear ya on the EMG thing as I have had several over that past two years as they try to figure out what is wrong with the nerves in my legs. The good news is that for the most part, I have almost no feeling from the waist down so they can pretty much stick me as many times as they want with no discomfort. The not so good news is they have been working higher and higher on me doing my arms, back and into my neck... so I do know what you are going through. Hang in there... ;)

• 3 months later...

Try metanx, its a prescription b6, b12 and l-methyl folic acid supplement. do not take the substitute. ask your doc for a script. taken twice daily.

I use it as a first line for neuropathy and high homocysteine levels. Diabetics have high homocysteine levels which greatly increases your cardiac risk.