Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Article on Muzzle Brakes

Chris

I followed that information many years ago when building my own first comps.

I will say that interesting things (things are important to us) happen when you concern yourself with more than just recoil reduction.

For the rest of the story............November's Front Sight.

Patrick

My Miculek comp doesn't have an expansion chamber as described in the article.

Would the comp work better when I machine the comp so it has a barrel thread size expansion chamber till the first barrel.

You could eliminate the locking nut in the proces also as the comp can be screwed on further.

Good idea or .....Not

My Miculek comp doesn't have an expansion chamber as described in the article.

Would the comp work better when I machine the comp so it has a barrel thread size expansion chamber till the first barrel.

You could eliminate the locking nut in the proces also as the comp can be screwed on further.

Good idea or .....Not

David, it is a good idea.

Yes, it is a good idea.

By drilling out the threaded portion (removing the "non-vented" baffle) you release more powder gas to "work" against the first baffle plate.

A small (emphasis on small) but measurable difference in recoil can be recognized.

You will also eliminate the eventual build up of residue between the muzzle crown and that non-vented baffle.

Removing material from the rear of the comp so as to index the comp without the use of washers is a much cleaner installation.

Done correctly (rear perpendicular to the bullet exit hole) insures no loss in accuracy due to comp misalignment.

Their are other things you can do to the Miculek brake if you have a mind too.

Try a search, I pretty sure our 3 gun moderator 00Bullet has done some experimenting.

I have a little more tuning info but you will have to wait until November's Front Sight.

Patrick