Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety ergonomics & shape

InTheBlack

A second thing about this Para Ordinance is that sometimes I don't end up depressing the grip safety enough.  I find that I need to position my hand lower than the beavertail allows in order to assure enough leverage.  This gun has the aftermarket(?) grip safety invented by some famous gunsmith, with the projecting nub in the back.  This problem does not occur with the Kimber, but the shapes of the grip safety are different.  I'm not sure if this is an adjustment problem or an ergonomic problem.

I had the same problem with my Springfield high cap. .45.  It is built on pretty much the same frame as a para and came from the factory with the bump at the bottom of the grip safety.  I asked a gunsmith about pinning it down and he suggested I just wedge a piece of shock buff in between the main spring housing and the safety.  Wedging it shut has been great.  No more "hey why can't I pull the trigger?"

The best part is that if you don't like it all you have to do is remove the little piece of shock buff.

-jhgtyre

Intheblack... had the same problem with my Para, put a glob of Devcon epoxy putty with stainless steel and enlarged the area of the "memory groove"... could probably use Marinetex or anything similar... regards  Les

With regards to grip safety. PIN IT, Disconnect it, get rid of it. I have small hands and even the Ed Brown large Memory Groove grip safety would sometimes fail to go off. I have 2 para's an STI and a couple of colt 1911. My right hand has a "hole" in the palm and will not get in enough to trip off any grip safety, so bye bye.Try it, you can always unpin it if you hate it.

For me it isn't how fat the guns grip is but how high my grip is.  I get the same problem with my single stack when I use a really high grip.  Shock buff to the rescue.  Oh, and if it matters, I have fairly large hands.

-jhgtyre

ITB,

Ihad the same problem on a single-stack Colt and wasn't able to fix it with the first speed bump grip safety I installed.  But the fourth one did the trick.  It was just the right combination of letting me get high on the grip and yet letting me depress the safety consistently.  You may just need to try safeties from different manufacturers.  BTW, it was the Ed Brown safety that finally worked.  I'm thinking of putting on in my SA 9mm too, since it's grip safety occasionally sticks.

FTR I have small hands.

I have two Para's, one new (p13-45) one old (p18 NRA Open). The p13 has an Ed Brown memory groove grip safety with a huge lump and I can't make it work so it got pinned, I have been known to have this gun very handy on some awkward occaisions.  The NRA gun has been pinned to make it idiot proof (me). I also have a Colt Combat Elite 38Super and that has a Wilson grip safety and I pinned that, as it is small enough for the lady of the house to use.  She does not shoot a lot and I want it go when needed.

If you carry a Glock or CZ type pistol they don't have a grip safety, and they go fine, so I see no advantage in having one.

I am more than happy for somebody who has carried a 1911 for a lot longer than me (which won't be hard) to give me their view on this.

Happy Shooting