Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elasticated Side Saddles

mike.45

Dear all,

A mate bought me a Tacstar loader sidesaddle for my 11/87 when he visited the US about 4 years ago. I stuck it on as it looks good and immediately realised it really interfered with my loading and holding technique as the plastic moon clips really butted out the side and got in the way. I took it off and its sat in a draw ever since.

Now, 4 years later I decided I would have a good look at it as I really thought there was merit in the elasticated loops versions that appear in photos from the US. These seem really rare but are available for the Comp Master.

So by means of exploration I took off the screwed in plastic loops of the Tacstar Loader and expoxied a strip of elasticated loops to the saddle.

What a difference ! They load as fast as my other technique and are really easy to throw in. The trouble is two things....

1. I have moved away from Remmys and want to know if factory made elasticated saddles are available for Benellis and SX2's

2. Do the rounds move in the elastic loops when firing. I have been positioning them quite loosely in loading practice but am wondering it in reality when firing they will fall out.

In checking out the major shotgun accessories sites they dont seem to supply elasticated ones but the hard plastic loops I hate. I only ask as I have never seen a side saddle used before and I know people will laugh at me when I show up with one if I dont use it properly !!

My next post will be about the 2 shell loop that sits on the fore-end in front of the ejection / loading port, I have just expoxied a cut off strip here as well and it also seems fast.... where can I get factory made ones as well !!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

The elastic side saddle and 2-shell holder are both available (made by) 3 Gun Gear.

Here is the link 3 Gun Gear

I have their side saddle on my Browning Gold and my Competition Master and they work great and with the velcro attachment thay are easy to add and remove as needed.

Hope this helps.

Rodney

1. I have moved away from Remmys and want to know if factory made elasticated saddles are available for Benellis and SX2's

Factory? I highly doubt it. The only ones that I have seen that are elastic and factory are for the 1100 Compmasters(?).

2.  Do the rounds move in the elastic loops when firing. I have been positioning them quite loosely in loading practice but am wondering it in reality when firing they will fall out.

It depends highly on the brand/quality of the elastic. I made a couple of these side saddle strips from a cheap 25 round belt shell carriers (i.e. cut to size and glued on velcro). The elastic was about 1-1.5"wide and were of medium to poor grade. When I used them I lost about 20% of the shells when firing and running around.

I've since gotten a better quality 25 round shell belt that I have cut up and sown on the velcro (gluing was no good (imho)). The elastic was 2.5-3" wide and were noticeably of better quality and thicker. I've had no problems with these loosing shells during the recoil and the jarring that happens when you run around.

http://www.3gungear.com/images/SHotgun/M1S90P-8.jpg

I haven't used the 3gungear strips, but they look like they will be the closest thing to factory for the Benelli and Winchester.

I believe 3-Gun Gear makes the side saddle used on the Remington Comp Master. I have their Benelli version which may need a little more breaking in before it is as easy to extract shells from as my old plastic version. I tried to make it easier to extract shells by not pushing the nose of the shell all the way through the elastic. This seemed to work until I actually shot a stage with it and noticed most of the side saddles contents were on the ground after about 4 shots.

I have never had a round fall out of a 3gungear sidesaddle, after thousands and thousands of rounds. They don't move either. I can't say the same about the plastic version.

3gungear does make the side saddle for the Comp master. I am not aware of any other elastic "factory" sidesaddle.

Cheers for your help guys,

I checked out 3 GG and they have just what I was looking for. When I said 'factory' what I meant was maufactured saddles as compared to my home DIY attempt.

I was chatting to a shotgunner at work today and she told me that under IPSC rules you cannot use sidesaddles etc as they are more than 50mm away from the torso. I have entered a question to Vince on the IPSC questions forum to clarify this for 2003 / 2004 and hopefully I will get to use them.

Do the 3GG ones have the velcro permanently (stuck) attached to the receiver of the gun or can you take it off and on like the bolt on saddles from Tacstar?

Cheers

Mike

I have never had a round fall out of a 3gungear sidesaddle, after thousands and thousands of rounds. They don't move either. I can't say the same about the plastic version.

Do you think it would work on a "social" shotgun as well as it does for matches?

With the 3GG side saddle, you can take the shell holder off the shotgun but the velcro base remains stuck on the receiver with an adhesive.

I think the 3GG sidesaddles would suffice on a social shotgun. In my experience, they hold sheels more securely than the plastic versions.

Mike

I was chatting to a shotgunner at work today and she told me that under IPSC rules you cannot use sidesaddles etc as they are more than 50mm away from the torso. I have entered a question to Vince on the IPSC questions forum to clarify this for 2003 / 2004 and hopefully I will get to use them.

I posted a reply to this query here

Neil,

Thanks for the clarification, are you playing this weekend ?

Gordon B,

I will admit I had the same thoughts as you and buy the Tacstar and simply glue the velcro onto that. I didnt really want the velcro permanently attached to the gun. Do you need to trim the 3GG loader much to make it fit the Tacstar?

Mike

I will admit I had the same thoughts as you and buy the Tacstar and simply glue the velcro onto that. I didnt really want the velcro permanently attached to the gun. Do you need to trim the 3GG loader much to make it fit the Tacstar?

I make my own sidesaddle strips.

I guess it grew from my experimenting with various locations for the sidesaddle strips on the gun --- it gets expensive if you buy and cut up a bunch of 3GG side saddles.

I have velcro on the left side of the receiver, on the right side of the buttstock and on the handguard (which emulates having the shells on your forearm a la Cooley). So if need be I can have 7x3=21 reloads on the gun.

After experimenting (for me) the fastest stronghand loads come from the sidesaddle with the Choate carrier being slower. I gotta go run some drills to see if shells mounted on the handguard is faster than the Choates (for me) and if it is worth the weight.

Anyways, from the looks of it, you don't necessarily need to trim the 3GG strip. It'll probably overhang, but there will be enough velcro on the Tacstar mount to hold it on and the resulting overhang (at least to me) won't get in the way.

Cheers for the advice guys,

I used a sidesaddle for the first time today in a comp, used it in every stage and luckily didnt embarrass myself too much. I think they are the way forward for me and will start using them on all my guns with a Tacstar / 3GG hybrid.

Its only money !

Mike

PS Whats a 'social' shotgun ????? One you take to parties and is easy to get on with ? (unlike my girlfriend) :(

Mike:

It is more like a cole slaw. No I havent got your e-mails. I am going to try sending to the Metro e-mail address if thats ok. Your SSI stuff will probable go out Friday or monday. I sent you a e-mail through the forums so look for it. KURT