Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to me SVI 40SW :)

olp73

I recently bought a slightly used SVI in 40sw for shooting IPSC Standard division.

It is really nice in every way and even tough I had high expectations I am surprised how well it is made and how smooth everything works. The quality is absolutely impressive. You can see the gun in the link below. I haven’t shot it yet, but will early next week.

http://capsicum.no/webshop/catalog/images/SVI.40.jpg

The gun came with 5 SVI mags with SVI guts and a mix of different mag pads. They all have something in commen that surprised me and is why I writeing this post.

All of them have marks from being grinded a little in the front (the bullet end). My best guess is that this is done so the magazines will drop freely.

My question is: is this common? I mean, the gun is made by a company that live form producing guns almost exclusively for our sport. Making such high quality guns how can they do something like this. The mags just have to drop freely, that is basic!!??

Is this common and will it effect the magazines live? It is a little thinner in the front now. It is noticeable with the bare eye.

Common modification, mags were probably hitting the feed ramp. Could be that

those mags in that gun sit that way, couldhave a raised mag release installed, or

someone just did it as a precaution, just to give it a little more wiggle room.

No Problem as long as it runs !!

Keep in mind they don't make their own magazines.

This is inaccurate. I've been to the factory and seen the raw material, machines and fixtures Infinity uses to manufacture magazines.

The magazines are made in two halves (left and right) and welded together, after which the weld is polished smooth. My guess is that the marks you are seeing is where the weld was smoothed out. The magazines are polished after this step, but it is possible some indications of the weld smoothing process remain.

Email Brandon at sviguns dot com with any questions about this - he will be glad to help.

I can't recall, but the seam from welding the mags might be on the front and that would explain the marks....they have to grind it down after welding. R

Your second point is accurate, so you score 1 out of 2 on your post :D

Keep in mind they don't make their own magazines.

This is inaccurate. I've been to the factory and seen the raw material, machines and fixtures Infinity uses to manufacture magazines.

The magazines are made in two halves (left and right) and welded together, after which the weld is polished smooth. My guess is that the marks you are seeing is where the weld was smoothed out. The magazines are polished after this step, but it is possible some indications of the weld smoothing process remain.

Email Brandon at sviguns dot com with any questions about this - he will be glad to help.

I can't recall, but the seam from welding the mags might be on the front and that would explain the marks....they have to grind it down after welding. R

Your second point is accurate, so you score 1 out of 2 on your post :D

Interesting as the last time I talked to Brandon about mags he said "we're getting in a run of mags". That made me think someone was making them for them. With some of the issues there about who makes what under what name and license I didn't ask. I'm guessing it was just him thinking one thing and saying another...no biggie.

If the marks are consistent and uniform all the way up and down, then it's the (sometimes very rough) 'polishing' that SV does on them to remove the weld marks. If they're just near the top by the feed lips, then its something that someone did to 'tune' the mags.

I believe now that they make their grip in house, everything in the gun is made in house with the exception of a few screws and such. Brandon told me the last I talked with him that they produce everything on the gun now. They buy raw material and stock and machine the rest.

This is a good thing as it allows them to endure quality of all aspects of the product.

It probably does make them more expensive though.

I will pay it as they stand behind their product 100%

I'm guessing it was just him thinking one thing and saying another.

"Getting in a run of mags" in SVIspeak means "getting it into the factory production schedule", not "getting a match in from a supplier".

I wasn't debating whether they do or don't, I'm just saying the way he said it (and the above might not have been word for word perfect) it sounded like the mags were coming from somewhere else....that's all. Not really asking for an interpretation of a conversation nobody else was part of....it came off the way it came off and that's all. I certainly may have misunderstood what he said, or he could have said it in a confusing way....doesn't really matter either way, but it is nice to know that they're making their own mags. R,

If the marks are consistent and uniform all the way up and down, then it's the (sometimes very rough) 'polishing' that SV does on them to remove the weld marks. If they're just near the top by the feed lips, then its something that someone did to 'tune' the mags.

I've had a new tube from them that had just a little bit of that rough texture on most of the body, but up near the top it was much, much wider....sort of a Y shape almost. Someone might know for certain, but I'd bet the polishing/sanding/grinding they're doing on the weld marks is by hand. If so that would account for some variation.

"If the marks are consistent and uniform all the way up and down, then it's the (sometimes very rough) 'polishing' that SV does on them to remove the weld marks. If they're just near the top by the feed lips, then its something that someone did to 'tune' the mags. "

the marks are all the way along the front.

Edited by olp73

At the first Infinity match in las vegas, on my trip tothe prize table i ended up with a SV mag tube(old style, greenish in color) , and some other goodies, after opening the plasic box to get a look at it I realized that the tube had NOT even been welded together!!!!!! i call to SV solved that lil problem, sandy said it was a QC problem, and righted it for me quickly