Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next to last cartidge will not go into the chamber

harald

I just got my 1911 from my gunsmith today.

I am shooting bulleye, my load is 4.5gr 310 and a 200gr cast SWC

I load magazines with 6 - 8 shots, I have tried 3 Wilson 47 and 1 shooting star magazine.

First shots witout problems, but the next to last shot will not enter the chamber. When i push the magazin release butten the slide move forward and the shot go into the chamber.

Is the slide stop the problem?

post-3274-1252004639_thumb.jpg

Edited by harald

What happens if you put 8rds in the mags? I doubt it is the slide stop. Once you get #5 to feed by dropping the mag, will the gun then feed #6 if you reinsert the mag?

Do you have a stronger recoil spring? Try a stronger one & see if it feeds all of them.

MLM

Yes, it is always the next to last round.

It is not brass shavings you see in the pic, it is unburn power from to light reloaded ammo. 4.5gr will burn all powder.

I think there is a problem with magazine and slide stop.

I have sent a e-mail to the gunsmith about this problem

It's unlikely to be the slide stop. It looks like in the second photo that the last round, the one still in the magazine, has slide forward and is bound up between the feed ramp and the round entering the chamber. That is why the partially chambered round will chamber when you drop the mag. Let me guess, when you hit the mag release in this scenario you have to pull the mag free and the round left in there is slightly forward and/or angled up?

If the above is correct, then tuning the mag body and new heavier mag springs may solve the problem. A heavier recoil spring may solve the problem as well but the gun should run with a 10# spring.

Chris

Looking at the round it appears to be too long. The length is a factor of the edge above the rim of the case which in a semi wad cutter is about a thumb nail width above the brass. I have not loaded that particular bullet but notice that the moly is off the edges of the bullet meaning its contacting something.

The other thing is it looks like its not crimped very well as the edges seem to be turned out.

And lastly it could be an optical illusion but that round looks pregnant, you know fatter in the middle than on the ends.

You might just want to shoot a few factory rounds thru the gun, if that solves the issue then look at the reloads as the problem.

Most of the time the Smith's that build a gun know what works, but 10# is very lite, and the slide looks like normal weight, if it were radically lightened I could see it. Try a 14# then when its all broke in drop to a 12# or 10# once you figure out what works.

Edited by CocoBolo

Since the rounds chamber fine without the magazine in the gun I would find it hard to believe that it is a "pregnant" load. Too long I could see being a problem. That could help get the round that is still in the magazine jammed into the feed ramp.

I think it will end up being magazine related. Hopefully the original poster comes back to keep us updated on what he finds.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the match without any problems.

I used my Dremmel one the slide stop, like Brazos custom explains.

Then I used a fine Arkansas stone and removed a sharp corner on the under side of the slide. This sharp corner made the marks on the last round in the magazine. Like the one pic in post 11.

I used the macro fungtion one the camera, that is why the round looks "pregnant"

And I crimped the bullets a bit more.

Last week I sent the gun to my gunsmith to have the frontsight adjusted a little lower.

He will check the gun ;)

post-3274-1253000049_thumb.png

Edited by harald

I shot the match without any problems.

I used my Dremmel one the slide stop, like Brazos custom explains.

Then I used a fine Arkansas stone and removed a sharp corner on the under side of the slide. This sharp corner made the marks on the last round in the magazine. Like the one pic in post 11.

I used the macro fungtion one the camera, that is why the round looks "pregnant"

And I crimped the bullets a bit more.

Last week I sent the gun to my gunsmith to have the frontsight adjusted a little lower.

He will check the gun ;)

Be careful trimming the slide stop down. It can get caught under the mag follower and keep the mag from falling when empty forcing you to drag it out when reloading.

Hope you've got it resolved.

Chris

A little late to this game...my first thought was slide stop. Second to the last round stoppage is classic for 2011's too. Almost always a mag/slidestop issue.

If you like the way the gun feels with a 10# spring, go with it. Nothing wrong with that. Going heavier is rarely the answer to feed stoppages. IF it is, a little more work on the chamber mouth fixes it. If it was speratic, not always same round in the mag then I would think it was an over tight extractor.

Sounds like you got it resolved though.