Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at a Lock and Load AP

Currently using a Lee classic turret press and would like to upgrade to a progressive. Lee is not a great option for progressives in my opinion. I've looked at Dillon quite a bit, priced out a 550 to reload three different pistol cartridges.

I'm interested in what Hornady has to offer. I'd like to be able to use my Lee dies. Not sure if the Hornady powder measure will work with the flare/powder drop die in my Lee die sets.

The LNL kit seems to have everything to include accessories for small and large primers. From what I've read all I would need to buy is a shell plate for each caliber.

I'm not a novice reloader but I wouldn't say I'm very experieced either. Anyone with experince with the Lock and Load AP please share your experiences.

Thanks

I have used the LNL ap for 10k plus rounds. No real issues.

I would recommend a small rotor for the powder drop. The large(that is supplied with the press) will work, but is very inconsistent.

From what I have heard, the powder through expander can be troublesome to adjust. I use seperate stations.

Hornady is the only press I have used, so I have no comparison.

Butch

I just started loading on an LNL-AP and I have absolutely no complaints. It comes with both small and large rotors now, so no need to purchase an extra.

I run Lee dies on mine using separate stations for expanding and powder drop. The Hornady powder-through-expander does supposedly have some issues, but someone developed an alternative that works great, according to a buddy that uses one.

The micrometer powder adjust would be nice to have, but isn't necessary for me yet.

I love my Hornady LNL AP. They have sponsored me for the Nationals, but I had the press before the sponsorship. My primary load is 38super, and I use Hornady dies and powder measure. Some people have trouble adjusting the bell using the Hornady powder thru expander. I designed a slider to aid in adjustment, but Hornady is not yet ready to ship it. Search for my other posts on that topic.

As far as the Lee dies, they work great. However, they do not work with the Hornady powder measure. I just use a Lee powder measure instead (I already had several). They are cheap and work reasonable well.

hueycrew:

I have a Hornady Lock-N-Load press, purchased early this year when the new “EZJect” ejector system came out. I have been using Hornady progressive presses since about 1985, when I bought one of the first Hornady progressives to come out. That was the Pro-7. Shortly after I bought that press, Hornady came out with an upgrade that added ejection of loaded rounds, and I sent my press back to Hornady to have it upgraded to a Pro-Jector (for $25!). I used that press for rifle loading until early this year, when I bought the new Lock-N-Load. I also have a Dillon 1050 that I use for pistol loading in some calibers. (Caliber conversions are expensive on the 1050!)

When I bought the first Hornady progressive, they did not have a case activated powder measure, so I used Lee powder measures and their powder-through expanders as soon as those became available. Later, Hornady came out with their own case activated powder measure, which I think is the best of those on the market.

The current Hornady powder measures come with both the large and the small rotors. Micrometer adjustable powder inserts are available, and I use those I bought to use on my earlier Pro-Jector press and the Hornady powder measure I bought to go with that, when Hornady added case activated powder measures. Since I have two powder measures, I use one for large powder charges, and the other for small charges. Just easier that way.

I use a lot of Lee dies. Your Lee dies will work with the Hornady press, but you cannot use the Lee powder through expanders with the Hornady powder measure. Of course, you can use the Lee powder measure on the Hornady press, and I did that for many years on the old Pro-Jector. But once you try the Hornady powder measure, I think you will agree that it is a better measure than the Lee. A set of three drop tube inserts (Hornady calls them powder sleeves) is included with the Lock-N-Load, and those will load all rifle cartridges except the .17 calibers. A separate drop tube (powder sleeve) is available for the .17.

Neck expand inserts are available for each of the pistol calibers. I have all of those, except for the .475, which I do not reload. The pistol inserts also flare the case mouth, and they do require a bit of time to adjust. Just a few minutes, but you will want to do that when you don’t have any other cases in the machine. Once you have a powder die adjusted for the proper case mouth flare, you will realize that you want to have separate powder dies for each caliber so that you don’t have to go through that adjusting process every time you change calibers. The powder dies cost about $20 each, much more than the Lee or even Dillon.

I consider the Lock-N-Load to be a much better press than the Dillon 550, and in fact, comparable to the Dillon 650. I have used both of those quite a bit. The price on the Hornady is also much better. Natchez Shooters Supply has the press on sale right now for $400, and Hornady offers a “free bullets” deal. I picked out 1,000 .30 caliber Hornady bullets that I would have bought anyway, and the “list” price was about $300. I could get the same bullets (from Natchez) for $200, so I figured that I save $200 on the press. That left the total net cost at $200 plus shipping. I also bought a case feeder, though, so Hornady made a lot of money on the deal!

The Lock-N-Load press comes with all of the parts needed to change from large to small primers – there are only three small parts. The press does not come with a shellplate, but shellplates are only $29.84 each. I now have 18 of the shellplates, with most being carried over from the Pro-Jector. I did have to send those old shellplates back to Hornady and had them modified for the new eject system, for $10 each.

The Lock-N-Load is a simple press to operate, and fairly fast (with a case feeder). I load a lot of different calibers, and I did have a few issues (all with the case feeder). I was surprised that Hornady’s tech support is very good. I have been a Dillon user for about four years (a 1050), so I know what good tech support is! I believe that Dillon has set the standard for tech support in the reloading business, and other companies that want to compete have to bring their standards up to those of Dillon. In my experience, Hornady has done that.

In short, I think the Hornady LNL is an excellent choice, and the price is unbeatable. But the low price wouldn’t mean anything if the press wasn’t as good as anything else on the market. I think it is (unless you go all the way up to the Dillon 1050). If you do have problems (as I did with the case feeder), Hornady’s tech support is right there. And, Hornady has treated me right on the upgrades I have done, first from the Pro-7 to the Pro-Jector, and later on the upgrade to the LNL (which involved only shellplates and using my original powder measure as an alternate).

Let us know what you decide to do, and how satisfied you are with your choice!

Jim M.

If you go the route of the LNL - make sure you get the new ejection system. I had nothing but trouble with the old wire system. I was ready to smash the press into bits! Having trouble ejecting every 5th round is very frustrating. I also find the case feeder to be quite finicky at times, but I can live with that if I don't have to jiggle this or that to get a round out of the shell plate at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine for about 1.5 yrs now, loading 9mm, 40 & 45. I've loaded about 25,000 rds now, I think. It's excellent. I bought the upgrade EZject, but have not sent my shellplated in, since it is rarely an issue for me. I bought the cone-shaped powder-thru expander for 9mm as it was tricky, but the Hornady powder thru expanders work perfectly in 40 & 45.

LNL AP is an excellent choice. Compares directly with a Dillon 650. Some things are better on the Dillon, some things are better on the Hornady.

• 1 month later...

I have loaded with both the Dillon 550 and 650. I purchased the LNL as it, IMHO, is the best out there. I have the older model with the ejection wire. Since I polished the lips on my shell plates and polished the ejection wire, I never have problems with stuck cases. Even with the 9mm. The Dillon's are good but, I truly feel the LNL is a better design.

Read this: http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

It's a great read evaluating progressive presses.

I've been comparing prices looking to upgrade to load rifle rns.

Jerry's sport center has them listed for 332.50 plus shipping-you'll need a ffl

cabellas has it for 399.99, but has free shipping

midway-398.99

widener's-369.00

it's listed on the web site for 490.15

I have not made up my mind on a dillon 550 or a LNL :unsure:

I've been comparing prices looking to upgrade to load rifle rns.

Jerry's sport center has them listed for 332.50 plus shipping-you'll need a ffl

cabellas has it for 399.99, but has free shipping

midway-398.99

widener's-369.00

it's listed on the web site for 490.15

I have not made up my mind on a dillon 550 or a LNL :unsure:

I had the option of trying both instore and having someone walk me through them. At the end of it, it was a no brainer for me. LNL!

I load on both a LNL and Dillon 650 both with case feeders. I have loaded on a 550. The LNL is much easier to set up and change calibers than the Dillon. Your lee dies will work with the LNL and the Dillon.

Get the pistol rotor for the powder measure then get a regular insert for each caliber you load. Once you have them set just snap in the right insert instead of adjusting the powder every time. That you can't do on the Dillon you have to get an entire pwdr measure. $27 per caliber (shell plate) versus $83 for a conversion kit. I take my time loading and run 200-300 rds an hour on my LNL.

The 550 is an aggie loader you have to use both hands one for bullet and one for brass, the lnl is faster as you leave one hand on the ram.

Happy loading.

Something else to think about. I especially like to read about reloaders "KABOOMS". Every single KABOOM I have read about over the last 3-4 years was traced back to a manually indexing progressive loading press. Before I bought my AP press I loaded shotgun shells on two MEC 9000 loaders. They are auto-indexing. It seemed un-natural to buy a manually progressive press. I purchase an auto-indexing press instead. I won't say it is impossible to get a double charge with an auto-indexing press but, I do feel it reduces the likelihood dramatically.

HOWEVER, a double charge with a manual-index press is certainly not the fault of the press. It is operator error, pure and simple. Each of the KABOOMS I read about, the loader was distracted by something i.e., phone, wife, kids, cat, dog, doorbell, FEDEX. You get the idea!

Again, manually-indexing presses aren't bad. They just need a little more concentration in the loading process.

At least that's my thought process.

Edited by Waldog

I blame you.....

I picked up a Lock and Load AP tonight..... not the direction I was planning on going but I've spent the better part of a week reading everything I could and the L&L seems to be getting good reviews. Hopefully I'll have it up and running by the end of the week.

Does anyone run the casefeeder? That is one cool looking rig and I'm saving up my pennies to pick one up.

Yes. I started without a case feeder, and picked it up a few months later. You'll want it, but IMO it's nice to not have it as you work through the rest of the set-up and start learning the press. Several less things to attend to.

But definitely get it when ready. Much faster, I think it was about 40% faster or so for me.